Is lifter tick bad (harmful) or just annoying? Oil Change Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is lifter tick bad (harmful) or just annoying? Oil Change Recomendations?

The lifter tick quite loudly for 1-2 minutes in my 1987.5 CGT when started cold. I knnow that many (most?) of the Audi inline 5s tick, but is it harmful? Or is it just annoying? When I do my fist oil change...any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2001, 07:10 AM
4kq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't we JUST discuss this? No harm, slightly less power.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:13 AM
dB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine always tick usually with less than 2bar of oil pressure (4-cyl.)...

I just switched to Mobil 1 to see what would happen. I usually use 10w40, but am trying 0w30 since it's winter and Target had it on sale for $2.49/qt. I've lost about .5 bar of pressure at idle with the lighter oil. Come spring, I plan to use 0w40 if I find that I have no leaks due to the switch to synthetic.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sort of...but I don't remember anyone questioning the safety of ticking...
Old 12-17-2001, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Is lifter tick bad (harmful) or just annoying? Oil Change Recomendations?

Since no one really answered your question...the ticking is (in the long run) harmful. It is your cam slapping down on the lifters. The reason you hear the ticking is the lack of oil there (at that time)...When it is cold out (engine cold), your oil is thicker and takes longer to get to the head. So while the oil is taking its good old time, your cam and lifters are creating a lot more friction than if there were oil there to lube it. And we all know what friction does in time...it wares things out
Old 12-17-2001, 01:27 PM

Default Not just the Audi's

Most of the older watercooled VW's and Audis tick, as well as some other German makes. Mine used to 'stick' a bit for a while, and I could notice a definite lump in the engine as the power differences between cylinders was off. That's a good question about harm to the engine. I can't imagine it being beneficial to it...
Old 12-17-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Uuhhhhhhh

Actually, it kinda hurts performance as when the lifter ticks, it means that the valve is not fully open when it should be...at least that's what I've understood of it....
Old 12-17-2001, 07:34 PM

Default Exactly

That's what I was saying. Not beneficial to the engine or performance. Older Subaru's also 'clack' loudly (for a different cause) but doesn't seem to harm them any.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:42 PM

Default yea....

lifters dont damage the enigine when they tick but when there is a ticking there is something wrong dont just block it out..have it fixed.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:36 AM

Default It's common for Audi's, it's in the manual...

Lifter ticking, "The Tick", is common for the Audi's because the lifters are hydraulic and is inherent in the design of a such a system. It takes a few minutes for the oil to get pumped back into them. It even states this in the your audi manual. While the sound you hear is caused by metal to metal contact, which is never a good thing, as long as you have enough oil in your engine and after a suitable warm up, a few minutes, the lifters should stop clacking. This will not cause any excessive wear on your enigne, but remember that technically, just starting your engine is harmful to it. Changing your oil, or replacing the lifters is only a temporary fix. Just like Jason and Freddy, "The Tick" will return!

Quick Reply: Is lifter tick bad (harmful) or just annoying? Oil Change Recomendations?