Looking to buy 1984 Audi Quattro 4000 S and 1986 q 5000

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Audi 4000s Quattro Turbo Swap. 4kqt. 20v 5000 quattro.

just as the title states. the 4k runs and drives but need a good clean as it has been sitting for a few years. the 86' has a bad trans and will be the parts car (turbo) to steal the engine and turbo wiring and components from.
ive been reading all over on the internet on different sites and i cant find somethings...
I'm really interested in making the 1984 4kq into a 4kqt. :-)
One thing I cannot find... all the parts and wiring I need. I know that there is like 3(?) Wires that are not plug and play. The rest is a red harness? I guess I'm just looking for some more clarification. I searched all night till about 430 am. And couldn't find anymore info. I read the job that was done a few years ago (red 4000) that has like 4 or 5 different sections to read... any help is appriciated!
the 86 will be getting parted out after im done, and the shell sold or scrapped.
and help is very appricated cuz im at a loss. not sure if i want to take on the project...

Last edited by Kyle94; 09-23-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Title Swap
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you follow my thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2790954

I'm achingly close to having the car done, and once I confirm the wiring and all that I'll post a step-by-step. I'm not satisfied with the supposed "guides" that are out there. They leave a lot up in the air with "I think it was X wire" or "You'll have to figure Y out for yourself". That's not very helpful to the less experienced and I want everyone to feel comfortable doing this swap because it's a lot of fun and is satisfying.

The red harness is easy. It's self-contained from the engine to the ECU, and branches off inside the car to the ISV controller and "kostal" connector, both of which you'll need. It's mostly just one wire to the fuel pump relay that you'll have to connect (and don't forget to swap the 5000's relay). If you want to be able to read diagnostic codes then there are a couple of extra wires. That's up to you.

Anyway, you'll get some ideas of what you might want to keep from the 5000 if you read my thread. I should be posting my "shopping list" soon, with everything you need from both cars, plus extras that neither car has that you'll need.

-Rog
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here are my notes on the wires from the kostal connector:

Pin 4 [pending]

Pin 9 needs switched +12v. Use the source of your choice, but a handy one is the wire that went to pin #1 on the 4000's ECU. It's one of the ones you'll most likely clip as it goes under the dash, and should be a black and blue wire.

Pin 11 is involved with checking engine codes. It's the infamous ILa connection on the fusebox (mislabeled on the main guide out there), and the check engine light would be grounded through it.

Pin 14 goes to fusebox pin BS.

Sorry, I had forgotten about the ISV (pin 9) and CSV (pin 4).

These are just my notes and aren't "official" yet. I plan on finding the best and easiest way to wire all these. This is just to give you an idea of what's involved.

-Rog

Last edited by Rogviler; 07-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
If you follow my thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2790954

I'm achingly close to having the car done, and once I confirm the wiring and all that I'll post a step-by-step. I'm not satisfied with the supposed "guides" that are out there. They leave a lot up in the air with "I think it was X wire" or "You'll have to figure Y out for yourself". That's not very helpful to the less experienced and I want everyone to feel comfortable doing this swap because it's a lot of fun and is satisfying.

The red harness is easy. It's self-contained from the engine to the ECU, and branches off inside the car to the ISV controller and "kostal" connector, both of which you'll need. It's mostly just one wire to the fuel pump relay that you'll have to connect (and don't forget to swap the 5000's relay). If you want to be able to read diagnostic codes then there are a couple of extra wires. That's up to you.

Anyway, you'll get some ideas of what you might want to keep from the 5000 if you read my thread. I should be posting my "shopping list" soon, with everything you need from both cars, plus extras that neither car has that you'll need.

-Rog
Oh. I've read that entire thread two or three times now. lots of good stuff. was hoping by reading it i would find what i needed to know about the wiring... lol.
i await your shopping list.
the more i read the better of an idea i get (of course)
ive read all sections of this idk how many times! haha
find more stuff evertime...
http://www.plasticmedia.net/4ktq/
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I'm definitely shooting for a better guide than that, which shouldn't be too hard.

[snip]

Take that guide with a grain of salt. IMO there are too many redundant connections and muddy explanations. But I also realize that being good at doing something does not make you good at explaining how to do it. It's just unfortunate that many inexperienced people are told "It's been documented 1,000 times" and then they get lost or fry something when they stumble upon what's really the only guide out there.

But stay tuned. If I don't have mine done by the time you get into it I can at least answer any questions you have.

-Rog

Last edited by Rogviler; 07-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

exactly. there are many swap threads, but a lot of them dont make sense to us noobs... lol. ive helped changed my uncles engine in his sentra (same engine swap though!) and replaced the tranny in my first truck when i was 15 with most of the work done by a family member (i helped...)
id like to learn how to do more stuff, and this seems like a great way!

I will make sure to post any questions up that i dont understand things about..
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I edited my posts above as I realized I couldn't find the source for one of my notes. I'll clear it up tomorrow when it's light out...

-Rog
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

How did you edit your post? i cant find the button! lol.
and thats fine. it confused me a bit anyway... :P
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's at the bottom of your messages, next to the "quote & reply" and "Quick Reply" buttons...

It's probably been a year since I opened my book of wiring notes, so I really shouldn't post anything until I get it all worked out and 100% confirmed. I'm not sure what my source was for the notes regarding kostal pin #4. I'll have to double check what my wiring harness looks like. I swear I have a CSV connector in there, but I may have already run it from the 4000's harness...

At any rate, this is why it all needs to be in one place.

-Rog
Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
It's at the bottom of your messages, next to the "quote & reply" and "Quick Reply" buttons...

It's probably been a year since I opened my book of wiring notes, so I really shouldn't post anything until I get it all worked out and 100% confirmed. I'm not sure what my source was for the notes regarding kostal pin #4. I'll have to double check what my wiring harness looks like. I swear I have a CSV connector in there, but I may have already run it from the 4000's harness...

At any rate, this is why it all needs to be in one place.

-Rog
its not there for me...

when are you gonna have your car DONE? lol.
havent you been working with it for 2 yrs? i would be to anxious to wait that long! lol. plus i want to know how it works?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 1984 Audi Quattro 4000 S and 1986 q 5000