MC Engine & CIS-e III?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MC Engine & CIS-e III?

A local shop has a MC engine (I think it's a MC2 but could be a MC1) that was removed from a wreck about 2 years ago. A customer was going to swap it into his 4000q but never got around to it. They are willing to swap it into my 1987 CGT 2.3 very cheaply, but they don't want to touch the wiring. So, any thoughts on running a MC engine on CIS-e III? I know it won't support a whole lot of boost, but I am hopeful I could run 6-8PSI. The CIS-e III system is a single knock sensor system. It's fairly well known that CIS tends to get a little lean at high RPMs. I have added a full throttle fuel enrichment mod already. Basically I added another full throttle switch that turns on the Cold Start Valve to dump in a little more fuel.

So...thoughts on this? Can I safely run a MC engine with CIS-e III? And thoughts on my "fuel enrichment" mod? Anyone know how the timing maps of a NG compare to a MC (thinking of a stock to stock comparison)? I know a few people have bolted a turbo onto their KX engines and run that on CIS-e, but not sure about a MC engine. I really don't need 200HP,a nd would be quite happy with 165-175...I'm actually pretty happy with the 130 that I've got now.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I dunno, there would still be wiring involved

With making the MC ECU work with other components of the car. There would be trouble with the intake system too. With the MC throttle body at the front of the car.
Im scratching my head, I have no clue
Old 10-03-2005, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving the airbox in the stock position is easier in some ways, but...

then there's a lot of intake pipe fabrication to do...mostly why I'm still procrastinating and not getting my swap done. FYI, all of the KX CIS-E sensors and such bolted onto my MC2 block just like stock. I would assume your NG CIS-E III wouldn't be different aside from the addition of the knock sensor.
Just have the shop fab up some 2.5in exhaust piping (or aluminum if they can) for the intake tubes, use a VW golf flowplate boot, and with some major trimming of the front grille, a stock 5kT intercooler setup can be fitted.
Just my suggestion though, that'll be adequate if your goal is "only" 160ish HP.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The big difference is the distributor, MC: 1 window Vs, NG: 5 window hall sensor...

From reading about 034 on the motorgeek forum, I know the turbo has a weird distributor setup, it only hase 1 window on the hall sensor, I don't know how it determines the firing point of the other cylinders, flywheel trigger maybe??
Old 10-03-2005, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The big difference is the distributor, MC: 1 window Vs, NG: 5 window hall sensor...

"flywheel trigger" ...IIRC you're correct about that. I thought the one-window MC dizzy hall sensor was a bit odd at first also. =P
Why not just use the complete stock ignition and injection setup from the NG?
Come to think of it, with the knock sensing ignition and milder ignition curve (NG=high compression), turn back the timing a few degrees and you'll probably be able to run 7 or so PSI.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why not run MAC11 ECU with the MC motor?

Why not run MAC11 ECU and 5000t furel metering unit with the MC motor, instead of cis III?

THen you don't have to mess with the CIS III, and you get a few more things designed for turbo, like overbosot cutout, a timing map designed for boost. I mean, if the MC can take more boost than the CIS iii, why not take advantage of it witht heECU made for it?

IF you get the complete 5000t wiring harness, coil, WG Frequency valve, and all the other bits that come with the harness, anlong with the MAC11 ECU, it's a pretty painless swap.

The MAC11 ECU only uses the one window distributor to verify #1 cylnder on compression stroke when starting. Once the ECU knows that, it does timng from the reference pin on the flywheel, and by counting the ring gear teeth.

I'm thinking that the MAC 11 only looks at the hall in the distributor when starting. Once running, I don't think the ECu cares what the hall sender does anymore.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah...