More in depth examination of starting issue....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More in depth examination of starting issue....

So as most of you know, im fairly deep into my starting issue, having replaced All the wiring to and from the starter, proving ignition switch works, replaced starter with working unit, and then new plug wires, a new dist. cap and rotor (which helped a little)

After disconnecting the CTS yesterday and attempting to start, the result was a more difficult ignition, but it did finally start once, and then died after 30 seconds of extremely rough idle (because it was rich)

Over the last week it has taken longer and longer to start, but it will eventually, yesterday I tried for about 30 mins and couldn't get it going.

My understanding of the ignition system, is that the ignition coil sends the "spark" via a plug wire to the distributor, which uses the dist gear, turned by the camshaft to determine which connection it makes, resulting in a spark for a specific cylinder.

When cranking the engine the starter makes it noise, but the usual sound of cranking (spark, and the engine turning over, you know eh-eh-eh-eh-eh sounds) are absent. My assumption for why starting is so difficult is because the ignition coil is not generating enough current to make an effective spark.

So would replacing the ignition coil improve the quality of the spark as i think it would?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

When you say the eh-eh-eh-eh sound is absent, are you refering to the sound of compression????
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All sound except for fuel pump whine and starter grinding is gone...

I would characterize it as lacking cylinders firing, the starter just turns the engine pointlessly.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How fast is it turning over?

If you yank all the spark plugs then you will eliminate compression and the motor should turn over really fast. If it is the same with the plugs in and out then you have a major compression issue.

IF the compression is fine then I'd suggest you examine your timing set up from top to bottom. Flywheel, crank pulley, cam pulley, distributor. Then check the crank ref. and hall sensors.

HTH
Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are not sure of spark or quality of spark..

If you are not sure of spark or quality of spark, get a 'spare' sparkplug from somewhere.

Then, carfully pull one of the spark plug boots off (without pulling on the plug wire itself, as that'll probably break the inner conductior. Get soem pliers on the metal boot itself).

Put the loose plug boot all the way on your 'spare' sparkplug.

Make sure the 'spare' plug threads/metal body is touching something metallic and grounded in the engine compartment, and have someone give the otor a crank. You *should* see spark in the plug gap.

If you get a good spark, then you know you hall sender, ingniton module and coil are working.

Spark *timing* could be off, but at least you'll know you have spark. For a more thorough test, try testing ALL the spark plug positons (one at a time) with the spare plug.

Put the plug wires back on the plug where they came from when not testing that cylinder, so you don't get things mixed up.

(Also prevents the coil from firing to where it can't spark.)
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take the oil filler cap off, and take a look at the camshaft throught the hole..

Take the oil cap off, and take a look at the camshaft throught the hole..

Can you see the camshaft turning when you crank the motor over?

If cam is not turning , the timing belt may be broken, so the motor isn't pulling any air in when cranking, which would explain things.

And if the cam isn't turning, the distributor won't be turning, so no sparks either.. :-(
Old 09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

My point preceicly
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't stand the suspense..!

Did you look through the oil filler hole to see if the camshaft is turning, when you crank the motor over?

What's happening in your motor?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 4k is at my Dad's house, Im dedicating sunday to her, it's hard to find time between....

School, football, work, and homework, But that's how it goes right?

Im fairly intrigued myself, we'll know soon enough if its MC2 time...
Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So it works!.........

Pulled CSV from block, it doesnt so much as drip fuel, i think Coolant temp sensor is bad, when i unplug it the enriched fuel mixture allows the car to start. After its started i can replug the connector and the mixture stabilizes causing a more uniform idle.

There are all sorts of Vacuum leaks, or at least vacuum hoses not connected to anything. Spark is still weak and its a pain in the *** to start, but eventually once it starts its a peppy little beast.

Any ideas? Its just not reliable to start anymore