My '87 4kcsq project

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! the one i saw was a mk1 4 door. definitely audi, guess that makes it an 80? couldnt read the back in time.
I went to phil's last summer, cant believe i missed the 4k's. thats good to know, I need passenger headlight trim and a good red fender would be easier than my silver one. plus i need a list of things before the KH motor can go in.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

The point of no return

Instead of making a weld on collar, I opted to file a nice even shoulder out of the weld on the tie rod bracket. this method is not for the faint at heart. It requires patience, attention to detail and a steady file hand. lots of file, then fitment and the tenacity to keep at it till you get a nice tight fit all the way around the sleeve.

Almost finished

Just need to shorten the sleeves. waiting on my new strut bearings and shocks then the front will be nicely low and adjustable.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that is dedication! Sounds like something I'd do though. I'm definitely going to have to check those out when you're done.

-Rog
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

this project makes my 4000 project look like peanuts. And ive been working on it for 4 years now...

good work with the suspension stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks man. and i know how slow or stalled projects go. my 280z spent the better part of 5 years collecting dust in the garage before i kicked myself in the *** and got going again. motivation can be my biggest battle sometimes.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a slightly better view of the shoulder I filed out of the weld. doesn't need to be that big, just big enough to support the sleeve all the way around.

and the other side

Once I was happy with the fit, I installed the new shock and nut, then measured the distance between the nut and shoulder. Then shorten the sleeve too the perfect size, which will allow the nut to snug down on the shock and sleeve at the same time. After that I coated inside the sleeve with anti-seize and assembled the struts.

Thanks to the low rise hats that came with the coilovers, I had to install the stock spring hat in order for the strut bearing to turn.
Between the inch I gained there, and the super stiff 7" springs, it only sits a 1/4 inch lower than stock, at the bottom of the adjustment range. Gonna try a different spring top and probly go to a 6" spring soon, but I do plan to take a little drive today and see if I like that spring rate. also curious to see if my $60 ebay shocks are worth a damn.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

the good:
Extreme improvement in cornering, quicker steering response, less body roll, quicker stops, decent ride quality.

the bad:
Shock valving is way off with the stiffer spring rate. still not low enough.

I'd like to get the rear done before ruling out the cheapo shocks but I have a feeling they just cant keep up with the firm springs. Overall a surprising improvement in handling with nothing more than a spring change and replacement shocks up front.

cant wait to get the rear done
Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Almost done with the rear. gonna get up early tomorrow and weld on the collars, then paint & re-assembly

Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since I didn't have a proper size hole saw or a drill press for that matter, I got a couple big washers from a friend and bored them out with a die grinder.

Once they were close to the size I needed, I switched to a flapper wheel that just so happened to be the appropriate diameter for the 55mm rear strut tubes.

Then the same friend welded them up for me since I don't have a welder.

You may or may not be able to see the 1"+ droop from the hat too the top of the 7" spring.

But even with that it rides higher than stock at the top of adjustment

Here it is a little more than half way down and where it will stay till I get my 6" front springs and the proper hats installed. Probly still have 2 inches drop left

Some Things to consider when going the DIY route on a 4000q coilover install:
-front strut tube O.D. is 50mm
-Rear strut tube O.D. is 55mm
-6" tall spring is required up front if you want any real drop or adjustment out of the deal
-7" tall rear spring seems suitable for a good range of adjustment
-Rates are 100% personal preference but IMO 500+lb in stock trim is not too stiff for the street. Some may disagree but I was almost swayed to a softer rate thanks to all the internet jargon but I'm glad I stuck it out with the stiffys as I like the way it rides and handles.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i like your work here so far

have fun with the muffler shops best friend, she's usually in a suit of yellow and likes to lie across the road in a parking lot oh yeah, she likes to be called "speed bump"

Quick Reply: My '87 4kcsq project