My '87 4kcsq project

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's more like it! I'm sure the front issue is just the stiffness and or length, as they looked perfect in person and there's really no way you could get the perch any lower. One of these days I'll grab a set of strut assemblies from Phil's so I can do the same thing. (I'm too slow on projects to use the ones on the car...)

This Summer we should make some strut tower braces. Once you get the battery relocated they're practically begging for it.

-Rog

EDIT: Woo woo, two-page club for you!

Last edited by Rogviler; 02-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I aint scared of no speed bumps! lol. I`ll probly run it where it is for most cruzing and track days, as the control arms are damn near parralell to the ground, generally what you want for good suspension geometry.

I`m totally down to do some strut bracing when the time comes. I`d also be up for helping you push thru the last little bit on your turbo swap rog, if needed. It`d be sweet if you could roll down to wuste with us this year. Road trips are always more fun with more people/cars
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

man, i feel real left out haha, you guys do road trips and track days. Here in Canada i bump into a few guys driving old 5000's or coupe gt's maybe once every two months. No track days or trips for me. definately sounds fun though. Keep up with the awesome work with the suspension
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's a KH. . . . . . i'm sorry

Been spending some time cleaning up the turbo motor, Figuring out what it needs, what I can get rid of, etc.

The good:
-Turns over freely, no stuck rings.
-Water cooled K26 spins freely with minimal end play, although I haven't checked it with a dial indicator yet.
-Its an auto. could be taken both ways but I see it as good. A little more time and money to change it over is worth an engine that has likely spent its life at lower RPM

The bad:
-Its a KH. Didn't realize they were so low on power till recently. Also makes some parts harder to find.
-Pinched oil line on the turbo
-No coolant after-run pump
-A damaged bolt that broke out the side of the front cover as you can see here

Not sure what happened here but my guess is, it was either damaged one of the many times it was moved or whoever pulled the engine thought it was a suitable lifting point. Or maybe the donor car was wrecked, I'll have to ask the PO. Either way, I have to find a new front cover.

I have been talking with rogviler quite a bit on the parts I'll be tracking down. Not sure why but the previous owner didn't think the 5k ECU or engine harness was needed for the swap. a little harder to find for the KH. Now I'm at a crossroads. Invest in keeping it CIS or just spend a little more on Megasquirt. I'm thinking the cost will be damn close either way I go so its kind of a no brainer, especially being familiar with MS already and I might have enough wiring left to make a harness. Not to mention I'll need the extra power bringing a KH to an MC fight.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had an interesting note on my car monday afternoon from another 4k owner. She was pretty stoked to see another tornado red quattro alive and well. Glad I had the opportunity to meet this couple and we have plans to do a little red on red photo shoot soon, I'll post more pics when we do but here's a shot of the '85 next to my '87

So now that there is a photo shoot in the works, I decided to Get my good red fender mounted up finally. special thanks to Rog for all his help pulling this thing. In a yard where the cars are packed door-to-door, sitting on 4 flat tires, the front fender isn't the easiest thing to remove but we got it without to much headache. Thanks again Rog!

Since I had the fender off, I decided to cheat the strut on that side and switch my frankenstien spring hats out for the proper ones from A-1 racing. With the fender off you can access the strut top fairly easy. Just loosen the axle nut and take the tie rod off, then remove the top nut on the strut and maneuver it out of the inner fender.
Another good piece of info for those of you about to dive in on the coilover project, The stock rear bump stop will snap right into those A-1 spring hats once you cut them down in length, take the boot off and flip them upside down like so:

Like it was made to go in there!

I'll update as soon as I finish the other side today and set it back on the ground but I'm thinking I'll drop another inch or close to it with the proper hats up front.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

The coolant leak was getting worse. . . glad the car came with a new replacement so I finally got around to that

Installed the radiator shroud I picked up at the yard

Here is a good reason to buy the strut hats that are discussed in other threads. Almost an inch difference as you can see

and it's a little lower

still not enough for the show look I want.

Only about an inch left before it'll be on bumpstops. After that I'll be looking at sectioned strut tubes or a different setup alltogether. There is a gold 4k on the rival house garage website that mentions a 90 axle conversion aswell as s2 brakes. I'd love to know what all he changed with the front suspension. . . if anyone out there knows that is. . .

Here is a link to that car, its a little more than halfway down the page
http://rivalhousegarage.com/2011/01/

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, welcome to the world of trying to get them low.

I wouldn't feel too bad about that height. Granted, he has 17" wheels, but it's about where Derek's car sat:

I think his suspension was a lot more extensive, too. Read about it here if you like. Granted, I don't know that he was specifically trying to lower it, just make it handle a lot better. But it did have similar coilovers...

On page 32 there is some sectioned strut tube action if you want to check that out. Even then, this is the result (fronts are lowered, rear is stock):

So now you see how much work it is... Crazy!

-Rog
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, and I looked at the car you were checking out and caught this line:

"The gold 90 is also running an FK threaded chassis with FK racing springs, resulting in little ground clearance."

So that's these guys:

http://www.fk-automotive.com/

But it doesn't look like they make anything for the older cars, so I bet that's where the other parts come in that they mentioned. Sounds like there's a lot more to the story. I wish they at least had pics of what's underneath...

Also that's just a FWD, so I'm not sure what would be the same there. You and me have a whole extra set of moving parts to worry about.

-Rog
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I noticed the "threaded chassis" comment too, but as i figured and as you found out, its for a newer setup which is why i`d love to see an actual build thread with more details than that little feature has. I think I found the gold car on eurodubs.com but its a 72 page thread in german so i`ll have to dig through it when I`m home on a real computer, not my phone.

Maybe next time we go to phil`s I`ll take a closer look at that FWD car, see what differences there are.

Thanks for posting some links man, I know its AW, not the most popular site, but I sure get alot of views without much reply. Better than getting hated on i suppose. lol
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default First track day!

Took the CS out on track today. Ran great even with numerous stints between 5-6000 rpms. Only complaint was the cheap sigma tires squealing all day long. Suspension was sure footed, just needs a more effective contact patch. Pretty good baseline and only 4-5 second slower lap times than my heavily modified 280z. All in all a good day @ Grand Junction Motor Speedway!

Got alot of good footage on the gopro. Once I have the computing power to edit all that high def footage @ 60fps I'll be sure to share the video here.

Quick Reply: My '87 4kcsq project