Need help with this hood cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with this hood cable

Got my cable, its pretty slick, yadda yadda.
Easy to get installed, and now I know how it all works, but, there is a problem. Whats the *proper* way to adjust this thing? It seems that the pass side doesnt want to unlatch. I tightened the cable on the pass side, but if tightened to much it makes the drivers side not latch at all. The bar things that latch onto the strikers on the hood are what Im talking about. It seems that the cable from the interior to the first "tee" isnt tight enough, and I dunno how to make it tighter.
Anybody have this problem? Im probably missing something, but it doesnt make sense that if the cable gets tensioned too tight the drivers side doesnt latch at all.
Help

Mike
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this may apply to your car too:

I own a 90 coupe quattro but the hood pins are adjustable. The way I got mine to line up when I did the b4 hood conversion was to pull the hood pins off and push them into the head light supports and then I close the hood to see where they lined up too. Sounds like they are not alligned properly and if its getting stuck it's not getting stuck on the "bar thing" it's actually getting stuck on the head light support.

Cheers
josh

Ps. if you do it my way becareful undoing the hood pins they fly in the air if you don't hold them when you pop them off.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I dunno how I did it...

But now it works fine. I went back out and adjusted the cable again, and now it opens perfect, BUT, the lever itself doesnt retract like it used to, I have to push it back into its neutral spot. Any idea how to fix this? Not a big deal at all, just curious.

Mike
Old 08-27-2004, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help with this hood cable

The two hood latches work against 'each other', so that if any of them is stiffer, the other one will open first. As you found, if you adjust the cable too short, one of them won't latch.

Try greasing up both mechanisims (both through the hole that the latch goes through, and underneath, where you may have to remove the grill to get at. IF they both move easily, your problem should be solved.