New Audi 4000 owner! Restoration thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
sorry for the sparse updates, classes have started back and I'm getting super busy again.
So... I don't know what I did when I had the intake manifold off, but it must have been good. The Quattro now runs!! It will redline, even when hot, and it has power! I drove it down the road and it did pretty good. There was still a miss around 3000 RPMs, but even then it was brief and the car overcame it easily. There's an odd sucking-whistling noise coming from the maf now, I need to investigate it.

While it is awesome that the car is now running for some reason, it isn't flawless, and I feel like there is still room to fix some small things, which I'll be working on in the future whiel I continue to save up for an AAN.

The biggest problem is the transmission. While I was driving it, it refused to go into third, and suddenly the shifter would go limp and just flop around. Is this a linkage problem? It was pretty terrifying.
let me know what you guys think.
Cheers
Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear it's running good! The shifter can be a couple things. Probably the big one would be the large bushing:

https://store.034motorsport.com/shif...m-replica.html

It's kind of a pain to change. You have to remove the linkage from the car and it's sort of tucked up on one side of the transmission. Then you have to bend the metal cup that the bushing fits into to get the old one out and then the reverse to get the new one in. But most likely that's it as far as something that would wear out. Part of a linkage could have broken, but I don't recall seeing that happen. It could also be an issue with where the linkage attaches to the shifter itself. You'll definitely have to dig around and see where the slack is.

-Rog
Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys,
well the engine is back to normal. From what I can tell the button that I 3D printed couldn't handle the heat and it melted, locking the throttle closed switch into the "closed" position.
So I'm having to try and find a new throttle switch, can anyone hook me up? I haven't been able to find one ANYWHERE, even in a donor vehicle near asheville. If anyone knows where I could get that throttle switch combo hit me up, I'll pay good.

I tried to fix my driver's side window! I got everything back together and successfully replaced the cable. And wouldn't you know it, not the actual motor doesn't work! I've tried getting it to spin but no luck, I think a brush is broken or a bearing Is jammed. I also can't find one of those anywhere, does anyone have a window motor they would part with?

I'm hoping after I get the throttle switch fixed I can finally move in to the transmission. It's been busy lately so updates have been tragically far apart. Let me know if you guys have those parts!
Cheers, Erik
Old 10-12-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey y'all,
Well i've finally done it. That dang engine is FIXED. I ordered a generic roller toggle switch on amazon and took the time to rig it up where the old one used to be. It was super cheap but time consuming.
It works fabulously. The click it makes is so satisfying. When I first installed it, the car cranked up, first try, and idled low at around 500 RPMs. The quattro NEVER cranked on the first try, and it almost always died alot until it warmed up. After I cranked it I messed with the CO screw, it was out now by over a full turn. I guess the ECU had been compensating for thinking the throttle was closed the whole time by leaning the fuel out? So I had just "tuned" the car to run without a throttle closed switch. Anyways after I fixed that, the car red-lined like a champ. It was so beautiful and responsive. I took it down the road and it ripped up, it was so much fun.
A few things though; The transmission is still rough, I'm gonna replace the shift bushing and figure out why third gear won't engage. Also, the shocks on the quattro are totally shot, they're soft as could be. I need to get a new set, does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like a nicer set if I can afford them. I'm still saving up money for the AAN, I'm close ad when I buy it I'll have this JT just laying around if anyone wants it.
Cheers
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice, I was going to test mine but after I finish moving the battery so it'll be easy to get to. Do you have a link to the switch you got?

-Rog
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rog,
Here Here
are the switch I got. They we're alone smaller than expected but I got them to work, I had to use some TINY bolts to hold them on and drill new hold on the throttle closed switch bracket, but it works great and it was so cheap! Let me know what your test shows, my engine is running like a champ now, who knew such a little switch could mess everything up so bad?
Old 10-13-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, got in the car today and nothing... It took about ten tries to get it to crank, and it died for another twenty or so cranks. After that it ran like crap. It couldn't get over 2000 until it had completely warmed up, then it would never go over 4000, at that point it just sputtered and backfired horribly. I tried re-adjusting the timing, as well as the idle. Nothing. This car has literally beaten me down, I think I've got it one day and then for some reason the next day it just refuses to even crank. I might flip it on Craigslist just to get rid of the headache, I'm almost out of money I had allowed for myself to fix it with anyways.
anyone have any other ideas? The quattro won't rev and sounds like it has peanut butter going through the intake if you open the secondary throttle plate. I don't understand how a car with new fuel pump, injectors, intake boot, vacuum lines, distributor cap, and throttle switches could possibly need anything else.
I don't want to give up but I have no idea what's left. I'll post a video tomorrow of what it's running like.
Cheers
Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys,
Well I apologized to the quattro today and got back to work. I started at base one again, checking all the basics.
Ill be brief; I reset the timing, and it helped some. However, when I checked the Control Pressure Actuator (also called the fuel pressure actuator or regulator) I found a problem. According to this website, which I use to troubleshoot the KE-Jetronic, I should be reading a fluctuation around 10mA going through the CPA. However, mine read a steady 8.3mA, an this value never changed. The CPA is only getting about 12mV during operation, and I don't know if this is right or not. When unplugged, the car barely runs at all, however when plugged up, it seems like no matter what, the car gets bogged down when the secondary butterfly opens. Could this mean the CPA isn't properly regulating the fuel mixture pressure and I'm being leaned/riched out? How could I test the CPA other than measuring the amps running through it? I can't find a replacement yet so for now I'm stuck with this one, It doesn't look like it can be serviced though. Other than that, everything else appears to be running smoothly enough. Any ideas?
Cheers.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m only familiar with KE Jetronic on a Mercedes so bare with me if parts are not on yours.

First, is the kickdown switch under accelerator pedal stuck in the down position?

Do you have an OVP on your car? Silver box with 1 or 2 fuses under a clear cover.

Does the EHA leak gas ever?

When you cleaned idle valve, did you apply 1V through 12V to it to verify it rotates inside? Sometimes a burr can develop, limiting its rotation.

Does you fuel tank have a strainer inside? Kinda like a large thimble that screws in.

On your fuel distributor, is there a fine screen inside the inlet? Sometimes they get clogged.

Have you tried jumping the fuel pump relayto see if problem goes away?

Is your coolant temperature sensor a 3 or 4 pin?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ None of those apply, I'm afraid. Actually there is a fuel tank strainer, but to get to it you have to cut a hole in the gas tank and then weld it up when you're done.

I thought I was going to have some time to jump on mine and compare today but I ended up having to work. But stay tuned.

-Rog

Quick Reply: New Audi 4000 owner! Restoration thread