New Pic of my funky car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I really really wanna learn

I love getting my hands dirty and learning about how things work. The desire is there, like I said, I just need guidance! My car has never broken down, except for a flat tire. Actually, when I was in high school and I drove the Sebring, it broke down when my date and I were "parked" on a date. Long story short, both sets of parents ended up there and I looked like a total loser having to tell my parents the story.
Anyhow, sorry for the ramble...

Mike
Old 08-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dang.. I would have called a friend and asked their rents to help out..

I actually did that when I hurt my moms exploder senior prom. A friends mom took me home. My parents ended up being home (10am) when I thought they were at church. doh!

Stupid thing I learned back then ('94). I had been up for over 24 hrs on my way home after leaving my dates house..fell asleep at the wheel on the highway. hit the center divide K wall. Blew out the front tire, and rearranged the 4 wheel drive/suspension. No body damage. Whew! I actually drove it to the dealer after AAA helped me fix the linkage to get it into gear. Luckily not many ppl are on the road at 7am on sundays. I learned my lesson.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The secret is simple.....

Don't look at it as a big picture, just do lots of planning, buy lots of repair manuals, and just take it one bolt at a time. As long as you have a good repair manual and follow it, take your time, and you'll be fine. I used to wrench for a living, and I'd be screwed without my Bentleys. For something like a motor swap, I would read everything on it I possibly could, buy a Bentley for the donor car and the receiver(you'll need the donor bentley to fix whatever might come up with the new motor, and for wiring diagrams), and take my time with it. The main thing is to concentrate on the journey, not the destination. Oh, and the biggest thing, to quote Doug Adams:

DON'T PANIC!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's gonna be fun. The AAN is basically a detuned RS2 engine.

The good news is, when you're shopping for RS2 parts, you don't have to worry about forking over for the exhaust cam, the AAN already has the RS2 cam in it.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gimme some info on those wheels and tires.

TIA
Old 08-11-2002, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you sure?

That doesn't sound right, since people with AAN's buy RS2 cams as an upgrade when they convert over to RS2 spec. Somehow I doubt it is the same cam.

Someone who cared (more than me) would be able to look up part numbers to see if they are different.

There are folks that are upgrading FROM the RS2 cam to a 7A cam, the one from the normally aspirated 20v.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:57 AM

Default I'm sure he's wrong

The RS2 engine (ADU code) is a sooped-up version of the ABY, which is the coupe version of the AAN engine but in no way the AAN is a detuned version of the ADU...

AND, the AAN/ABY and the ADU share the same INTAKE cam, but the most important in turbo engines is the EXHAUST cam, that's the one people use from a 7A when the RS2 is unavailable or too expensive...

Now the RS4 upgrades are worth nothing on a 5 cylinder engine as the RS4 uses a 2.7l Biturbo engine, which is a V6, so in no way you could use RS4 performance parts on your AAN, except for detuning it (want a small turbo? get the RS4 then, but use only one)....

Now for PhunkFX, I don't think it's worth the hassle of having an engine conversion if you don't even turn a screw yourself... I did all this all by myself, only my wife helped me sometimes, but she was more like "here's the open end 13mm wrench" and stuff, and it took me 8 days, including waiting during 4 days for a bearing to be delivered by Audi. If you got to do it, do it yourself, there's nothing more satisfactory than doing such things yourself (even with the help of a friend, but the point is that YOU do the things, with the friend only giving advice) and at least you'll be the only one to blame if something goes wrong...

BUT IMHO, having a lot of friends do the things for you is a no-no, start reading about engine conversions (there are quite a lot of write-ups out there), subscribe to the quattro mailing list, get the Bentleys for both your car and the UrS4 or even better, the factory repair manuals (though sometimes the Bentley is better), start learning how to read the wiring diagrams (I used to be an electronics nerd as well, I can tell ya that at first sight you'll say "what the h*ll is that for a diagram?"), check for the things you'll have to swap between both engines (ever thought about the intake manifold and the radiator with the AAN? Get a 3B! :-) ) and so on...

Maybe it'll take you 1 year or 2 to learn what it takes to do an engine swap, but IMHO (I can't but insist on the "my opinion" part of the expression, that's only my opinion, guys!) you should really try to do as much as possible as you can by yourself, it's thousands of times more interesting to do it by yourself...

That said it is only my honest opinion and experience and your mileage might vary...

Mihnea
Old 08-12-2002, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default whos?

Whos rims and tires? for what?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I'm sure he's wrong

I hear ya minhea, the fact of the matter is, I cant and wont do it. I will help with what I can of course. But its goingto be about 3 people in on this project, my father, myself and another Audi Porsche tech. Thats it.

And as far as the RS4 goes, Audidid make an RS4 5cyl 20T, it was tuned by porsche, and was not a v6, it had late model 100/early model a6 body style. Now that RS4 is the ADU, the same as used in the S2, but in a wagon ONLY. Fast. The reason for getting an AAN instead of a 3B is the fuel rail and other problems when upgrading to RS4/2 parts on the 3B engine. It is bolt on from the AAN where as the 3B need modification. If that makes any sense. I think I know what I'm talking about. But I want an AAN, and thats what I'm getting, I hope it works out! Imagine the insanity, AAN with RS2 upgrades in a 4000Q. Wow, I cant wait! I am going to have to resort to you for help also if you do not mind. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If mine.

If you are refering to mine, they are TSW Hockenheim R's 16x7.5 ET40 offset 4x108. The tires are bf goodrich euro t/a's 205/40HR16
I dont recommend those tires, they hydroplane terribly! Get a z rated UHP tire!

Quick Reply: New Pic of my funky car.