not going well

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not going well

cant get the dumb engine out. not enough room. i think ill be undoing the trans and pulling that out the bottom? theres not enough time for this and i dont have help.. i may be riding shotgun to waterfest
Old 07-17-2003, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think it does need to come out of the bottom.

Unless you feel like making a removable front end and rad support.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well if i could get it 3 inches farther out of the trans itd come right up.

im thinking about cutting the front right off.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: not going well

Sorry I couldn't make it not enough time in the day.Never did a Q so I don't have any helpful suggestions. If your not keeping the new Q to use then why not cut off that rad support and remove the engine so you can see what you need to do to remove driveshaft from the transmission. call me if you need any moral support.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:37 PM

Default The way i did it out of the "parts 4kq" I pulled it directly out the front. Core support cut though.

Seems to be the easiest way.. unless you have lift.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:48 AM

Default Are you letting the trans tilt?

You need to let the back of the tranny drop if you are pulling the engine out the top. Also don't forget to remove the front snub mount on the engine. Remove the harmonic balancer too for a couple more inches of wiggle room.

In my experience of installing & removing about 2 dozen engines in Audis over the years, I always drop the tranny and engine as one piece. It's much faster and easier to do it that way than to wrestle the two together on the car. Aligning them on the car sometimes is a b**tch.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: not going well

This is a public service announcement from Ted (aka Jag boy) who towed the '86 and helped start the engine swap (and I'm not even an Audi guy!).

@*(#%(@#& it's much easier to swap 350s (or even V12s). That engine bay may be extremely spacious for what it is, but it's missing room in all the places it needs to pull out the engine (i.e. forward/backward).

Yes, according to my friends who've done this swap before the easiest way is to plop the engine out of the bottom and that from the top is hard if not impossible, and requires removal of the transmission anyway. The problem with this in our case was the fact that we couldn't properly support the engine and lift up the car to get the engine out from the bottom. Unfortunately we were working in a driveway not a shop. Then again, I'm sure there are a bunch of you out there who've done it in a driveway. Anyone have hints? It would also have helped if we had things like... say... floor jacks and jack stands.

As much as my logic says that J should put the tranny in the '86 instead of the engine in the '84 ("WOULD YOU JUST DO THE TRANNY ALREADY?!?!?!"), I can understand why he wants to hold onto it. I'm the same way with my '82 Jaguar. There've been many times when logically I should've gotten rid of it and it's ended up costing me more time, money, and effort to keep it on the road, but ultimately I'm too in love with the thing to let it go to the scrap pile, and I imagine that (barring a severe accident) I'll still have the thing 20 years down the road. It's rusted out, is lacking things like air conditioning and heating, and has required countless hours of work and amounts of money, but ultimately it's worth it to me. So J, no matter how much crap I give you about the tranny swap, I understand.

Unfortunately from what Andrew's told me, there's no way that the swap can be done in time for Waterfest (although I do know that J will be giving it a valient try). I wish him the best of luck. Everyone enjoy Waterfest!

-Ted DuPuis (aka Jag boy)
No Audi, but I do like them