Ok, I swear my 4000 hates me anymore... *sigh* <rant>

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I swear my 4000 hates me anymore... *sigh* <rant>

this car is trying my patience something fierce.

After all the rain storms we had this past weekend my Saab APC "ECU" I have in the car to help me detect knocking has gone on the fritz. My LED light is basically a disco strobe now. I know the car isn't knocking, and it does this flashing as soon as it gets power w/ the motor turned off. I'm guessing something shorted out in the ECU itself, which sux.

And to put icing on the cake, this morning I get in the car and am overpowered by the smell of gasoline LIke, bad. Whole cabin reeks of gas as did the trunk. No smell coming from the engine bay, so I'm fearing the worst here.

I <i>just</i> filled the car up monday night, so I'm hoping that maybe a breather line or something got a lil gas in it. We'll see if it still reeks this afternoon when I leave work.

I really don't need to be dealing with this right now. I hit points with it when I just want to drive the damn thing into a wall :-P

Alright... rant mode over. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dont fret meng

You have another car to drive . Did you check under the car for leaks?

I know its early and a work day, but toss back a few Strohs, you will feel mo betta
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get it to Carlisle on May 16...plenty of people there to help trouble shoot! ;)

Seriously though, gas issues suck. Petunia was the queen of leaky fuel lines. I still remember when our entire house reeked of gas for 3 weeks while she was on ramps marinating in her own gas stench in the garage...while we were waiting on parts. You'll get it straightened out!!

I'm serious about the Carlisle part too, foo...

--morgan
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It will get better...!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hang in there,

I had the same thing with the CGT project. I tried to patch the fuel lines and they were just too badly gone. I finally ran all new lines front to back. The longest time was taken by bending them myself. In the end its good to have new lines.

Cheers.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've got plenty of gas tanks if you need one...Plenty...

they are from non quats, but as I understand it they work fine, you just lose a little volume.

I know you'll get it figured out, these cars can be trial from time to time.

But let me know if you need and gas tank related parts, as I have three spare gas tanks currently.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some thoughts...

Is it possible that the flashing is a trouble code from the SAAB ECU? I am not familiar with them but perhaps it is a warning flash rather than something to be ignored in which case it is doing what you want and alerting you to an issue.

I have posted a few times about the failure of the electrolytic capasictors in any electronics this old. They dry up ofver time and their internal resistance increases. When this happens they self heat and exponentially enter a failed state. As a pre-emtive strike you guys should all replace the capacitors in your ECUs. The caps are cheap and easy to replace. The silicon parts they protect are not. In many cases the silicon isn't even available any longer. NLA = SOL!

As for leaky fuel parts... the only way to deal with that is time and/or money.

1....2....3....4.....5.....6.....7.....8.....9.... 10 &lt;sigh&gt;
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ha, i'm leaving in 10 min for the day, so I might just do that...

I'm just growing weary of tossing $$ at the car. Didn't help this morning that it was stumbling and misfiring for no reason. I really need to get this thing tuned better. Some days it's flawless, and others it fights me with a vengance.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha, you deal with my gf and i'm in :-P

I have a feeling something around the gas tank is the culprit as my trunk reeked... as did my school bag... lol. I got it out of the trunk this morning to take into work and was overpowered byt the smell of gas... lol. Chalk it up to a lil bit 'o dat "old car smell" :-P
Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default will keep ya posted if the reeking continues...

I have a full tank of gas at the moment, so won't be messing with it anytime soon if I don't see any puddles forming.

This is when parking the car on the grass isn't the greatest thing... I can't see anything leaking

Quick Reply: Ok, I swear my 4000 hates me anymore... *sigh* <rant>