questions,thoughts, and predicaments.....what's it worth? (very long,sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions,thoughts, and predicaments.....what's it worth? (very long,sorry)

As some of you may know, I recently retired from the trucking industry and I find myself at war with my wife a bit more.

She has put up with a lot of "project cars" around for a very long time and is voicing that to me quite frequently now.

The question: what should I keep?

My first 85 CGT, a very southern rust free car that is in the middle of an NG swap.

My 87 4kq that I had at Carlisle and ran in the 2007 GRM challenge, currently a DD.

The 86 4kq I got from Ray which could be insured and driven as it is now.

The Urq is not even being considered in this situation.

My thoughts: were to keep 1 of each version, CGT, 4KQ, and Urq however I really don't have the space to do that.

The predicament: I have just come across a low mileage original '77 911S for a very decent price. The undercarraige is amazingly rust free and top ide only has some minor spots that need attention. This model and color (black) has been the only car my wife has ever truly expressed a desire to own. The problem is a short window of opportunity to buy it and no where to keep it from her until her birthday (8/2). Because as much as she would love it, I'm not so sure it would override my "projects" problem.

Any suggestions and valuations?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What car(s) do you value the most?

Look at each car in your driveway and think which one you could easily do without, then go from there. The Urq sounds like a big project, which I know you would be good at working with. I think the CGT would be a keeper as well.
The 4kq's are neat, but are they necessary?

If it were me I would probably keep Ray's old 4kq and the CGT. If the Urq were a bit more roadworthy I may be more apt to keep that one around.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:21 AM

Default For starters the 911 should be a good foundation for planning the rest of your fleet

Is it a space issue you are looking to solve?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What car(s) do you value the most?

To answer you and Yukon's post, space is my biggest problem, I also have two micro cars in my 1 car garage that don't help matters.

As far as my values, I never thought about selling the 85 CGT only because of the rust free issue, I always wanted the Urq, so when I got it the CGT kind of got pushed aside.

The "harlequin" 4kq was a freebie and I had planned on using it for Urq/CGT parts, but ity ran too good to break up, hence the GRM Challenge entry was born.

Ray's car...... well (this might not sit well with Ray), was a quick replacement decision for the freebie, meaning I didn't plan on keeping it "road worthy" (figure it out). However I got the overheat problem resolved quickly and cheaply so that has joined the "to good to you know what" grouping.

The 911 would be for my wife, while some skeptics would say it was really for me, let me state that I have already had my Porsche "fix" a while back and prefer the 928 roar. It would need some TLC so naturally it would be my project though.

I'm also looking to start my own business which needs some of that space opened up also.

Maybe I should just go back to my old job and un-retire.....
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: What car(s) do you value the most?

if you think you have car problems just get a 911 you'll always be walking or fixing oil leaks imho
Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so it's kinda like getting another Audi or a Harley

it would only be her weekend play car,so not much mileage will be put on it anyway.
Oil leaks don't scare me and I don't ever walk ;o)
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default '77 is probably the least desirable of all 911s. Because of some emission related mods....

these has ton of issues. If the engine was swapped and most of the smog equipment removed, it would be fine.

Try looking at 1978 SC with 3.0 or early 3.2 (1984), these are much nicer cars, have flared "carrera" fenders and have most of the emission quirks solved. The SCs are also priced very well at the moment but will go up soon as the 911 bubble expands.

Visit www.pelicanparts.com for some tech help.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

my vote is for your first CGT to stay.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dare I say..?

Get rid of the urq?

-It's going to be a LOT of work, and ditching it would get a big load off your sholders. You *know* how much work it'll be to fix, and then, how much will it be worth when done. Probably less expensive (in the end) to buy one in better shape, if you really want to go that route.

-Then, bit the bullet, and figure out which of the 4kq that you'd rather keep. Sell the other to a forum member, so you don't feel bad.

It's sort of 'you can't save *all* the stray puppies of the world! You have to know when to let go a bit,and perhaps let others enjoy them too..

Once you do the above, you'll have some space free, and less of a list of daunting projects to work on.

-Then, start working to collect bits to do a turbo conversion on whatever 4kq you keep. Remember, there is not *that* much mechanical difference between a turbo 4kq and a urq.. :-)
Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was the wife included in the options on the table?

Quick Reply: questions,thoughts, and predicaments.....what's it worth? (very long,sorry)