ran in to some serious car troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran in to some serious car troubles...

Okay guys, my 4000s is acting up really badly. It ran perfect for the past few days. I mean seriously perfect. But today it started acting up, now it barelly runs at all.

This morning i took it for a drive to do some things around town and it worked flawlessly like it has been. But midday i lent it to my mother who only drove it from the local town and returned home. She had told me the car was stalling, and this car is an automatic...so it wasnt her clutch work. It was the engine.

After doing some things in town i returned home to see what was up with my much loved Audi, so i fired it up and let it idle. It seemed to work fine until i gave it some throttle. It would start to shake and shudder at around 2,500 rpm. I figured it would warm up and return to perfection after a short drive. It drove fine down the road and around town until i shut it down and went to the store. When i came back to go home the car wouldnt start up and would only crank over. I had a spare fuel pump relay in the car so i switched those out to see if it helped.

After no success i closed the hood and called for a ride home. Before help arrived i tried the key once more and it coughed back to life. I had to keep constant throttle to stop the engine from stalling the whole drive. At stop lights i put the car in neutral and lightly kept my foot on the gas. I kept doing this until i got it home. Now it barely idles, And im a little worked up about this
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

its hard to know exactly whats going on there but i can give you a few things to look at...when my cgt died/was dying it was either the hall sensor on the ignition distributor (sometimes those wires are toast and its not exactly obvious) or certain engine grounds are loose/corroded.

by the sound of it, your wires are at that point where they have a little connectivity but are about to sever or quit completely. i would give your bay a good looking over to make sure all the wires are in good shape.

im sorry i dont have more input, but theres a reason for everything, its in there! you just gotta find it.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, i did do a little checking of the grounds, but possibly not enough. I am in disbelief that it is the hall sensor but i will check that out just in case. The car runs and drives fine, but when i let of the throttle and allow the car to idle it just sputters and dies. I have to keep constant throttle
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well that sounds purely like an idling problem. i guess thats a good thing? haha.

i'd look closely at the idle stabilizer valve, if the wires are good maybe the valve is toast. jump the leads on it with 12v and see if she spins..id start with that
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks guys for all the help. I seem to have the car running again. It was all just the exhaust. someone had stuffed a bunch of garbage down the tailpipe while i was at the groccery store

Funny how that caused the engine to run like that
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's crazy. At least it was something simple. I thought people in Canada were all nice to each other?

-Rog
Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah i know right, i would hate to have to spend hours on end to troubleshoot...

And in the town i live in, its not really a happy place in some parts haha. But most of the time, we old Canadians are pretty good to each other.

Im going to post a video of my car and its new exhaust soon. I finnaly got my own camera to do this with. It think you will like it
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's awesome! I don't know how I ever made it without a camera. It's so much easier to keep track of stuff and ask questions.

I just saw that there's a guy on Vancouver Island with a Fox, so be on the lookout for it:

Sounds like he's going to do a soft restoration on it, keeping the original paint color.

-Rog
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

oh cool, im going to guess that the owner of the fox lives in our capital city Victoria. Thats were our only major Audi dealer is on the island. Its been around since the 50's. My family bought my 4000 from there back in 87.

I have never seen that fox yet, but there is a good chance i might see it sometime in the future. Looks pretty neat.

There is a few really nice Audi's on the island. Aside from the occasional R8 v10 fsi and the all to common A4 i have seen a few coupe GT's in nice shape, ive seen lots of 5000's too. Not alot of 4000's though, they seem to be in hiding. My parts car used to be just a 5 minute drive away from were i lived, it was tucked away behind some thick trees. Never seen it in my six years of living in my town.

Im going to look for more when i have the cash. there WAS a mint 86 Audi 4000 CS quattro in light red and beige interior for sale on the local craigslist. the owner wanted $1,500 I only wished i had the money for it