Rear speaker removal - 1987 4kq

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speaker removal - 1987 4kq

I want to upgrade the rear speakers to better units but i cant figure out how to remove the actual speakers from the rear deck. I have the deck free and out but i just dont want to break anything trying to get the speakers out. any hints would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The speaker grill 'unscrews'..

The whole grill sort of 'unscrews' from the speaker, as one piece. It's one of the oddest setups to mount speakers that I've seen. Once you get the back parcel shelf out, you should be able to see how it works. (Only take the shelf out enough to see what you are doing. If you want to take the shelf out ALL the way, you have to undo the rear seatbels and everything.. )

If you are thinking of fitting better speakers (high end, or higher power) or if you are mounting something like 6x9, or at least bigger than the stock speakers:

Consider cutting holes for the new speakers in the METAL deck (some work), and mounting the speakers there. THat way, you can leave the stock speaker grilles in place (but make sure the tweeters of you speakers line up with the old speaker opening) so your new speakers can't be seen. Stealth!

Also, mounitng the speakers to the metal deck gives them way more room to work into (the whole trunk area) for better bass,and you don't have to mount them on the flimsy cardboard rear deck. (And you can go back to the stock speakers without leaving big holes, if you ever sell the car)

Yes, it's a bit of work,and you have to use a really thick speaker gasket because the metal isn't flat. But if you are looking for good solid sound, perhaps the way to go..

Or in other words:
If a 'pro' install shop mounted a high end system on a 'cardboard' parcel shelf, I'd really question the quality of their installs!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another mounting option....

Requires some work, but it looks nice in the end.<ul><li><a href="http://humanspeakers.com/audi/rear-speakers.htm">http://humanspeakers.com/audi/rear-speakers.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

I went to a stereo shop yesterday and picked up a set of JVC 5.25"s for $18 on clearance! Worked out great. The old speakers were totally rotting away. Parts of the speaker were missing! lol