schooled dodge ram charger (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default schooled dodge ram charger (long)

I just wanted to share with everyone my fun last night...
Last night one of my friends decided to go drifting out on a remote road, and had the skill to hit a curb and almost roll his car (everyone is okay, as is the car). I went out to help him change wheels and look over the car (he was justifiably shaken up). In any case, while we were there, a guy in a raised, offroad prepared ram charger pulled up, and started trying to drive up pretty steep, muddy hill. He was failing pretty miserably at it... seemed like he didn't have enough power, or traction to make it up; this being in a car with a large (of unknown size, however) engine, and very aggressive mudding/offroad tires.
Shortly after he started running up the hill, I looked over at my friends and said "How much you want to bet my Audi can climb that hill better than his truck?" Bear in mind, my car (a stock 87 4kcsq) has moderately high performance street tires on it, and decidedly less power. All my friends said there was no way it was possible, I could maybe get partway up the hill, but never to the top, and definitely not faster than the truck.
So after we finished fixing my friend's car, I headed over to the hill, pulled up to it, and set off full bore up the hill. Got to the top about twice as fast as the truck, hit the brakes, and then slid all the way back down. Then I thought to myself, hey, my diff locks still work... lets see if that makes a difference... I got two other people in the car with me, and took off up the hill, and got the top even faster, with no noticeable slip. (I repeated this three more times, for fun... knocking my lower grill out of the air dam (gotta stick that back in... ) and pulling the muffler off of the last rubber hangar when I slid back down the hill... but no permanent damage). Needless to say, the guy in the truck was rather awestruck, not to mention all my friends who didn't believe me when I said the car could do it.
So that was my fun for Wednesday night, sorry it was so long, I just had to share it with everyone.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:11 PM

Default That's awesome. It's great to hear stories of 4kq's proving their offroad capabilites...

to non-believers. Some friends and I used to do the same thing to the local rednecks with lifted fnords. We were constantly told that there's no way our oddi's could make it back some trail. I loved seeing the look of disbelief on their faces and the numerous questions that followed once we made it back. Good times.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Awesome! Now here's another, but not near as good.

Up in the mountains picking huckleberries with the family, two rigs including my '87 4kQ. We decide to picnic at a spot only accessible via a road that has clearance challenges, ruts and standing water over stretches of goo. I tell my boy who brought his Jetta that he better leave it on the main road and that I would haul our stuff in the 4Q, and that everyone else could walk in. He lectures me about how even Mom's Toyota 4x4 would get stuck. I just said to meet me up at the picnic spot. (Great view.) A carefully picked line, good throttle modulation, a little mud at the door sills and the Quattro had arrived. The kid was awestruck. (I think the wife was half pissed that I got away with it.) Same story on the exit. On the exit to the main road, a Ford 4x4 drove by. He looked at me like, where did you come from. That's why Qs carry tow straps, to help out stuck 4x4s.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Elder Member

i bust on my jeep buddies that i've already got air lockers heh
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, i used to have a ramcharger

318 w/ headers and bigger carb (dont know what kind...came wit it) and 38" mudders and a 6" lift. lots of fun till one day i went to climb into it and nearly fell thru the floor... yes. rust. junked it and got $50 and a coffee for it.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 164 Likes on 145 Posts

That's quite amazing. Cool!