seriously considering buying a car from out of state. need help>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seriously considering buying a car from out of state. need help>>>

The car is in Indiana and I'm an Ohio resident. I'm trying to find out how to get the car back. I know I want to drive it but the plates (if it's registered) need to be removed at the point of sale.

to get temporary tags i need to be in the process of getting ohio plates.
to get ohio plates i need an ohio title.
to get an ohio title i need the car inspected in ohio.

how do i get this thing back here? i was told in passing by a friend that you can get temporary tags from any AAA for the purpose of driving an unregistered car.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, your state should have "in-transit" tags for that very purpose.

Or try to sweet-talk the seller into letting you drive it home w/ the plates and then once you get it in your name, you can mail him the plate back.

When Tony bought my Petunia, he drove her from PA to Okla w/ my plates.

Best bet = call AAA if you have it. Or check your state's DOT site and see what they say.

--morgan
Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm guessing the owner won't let you drive it home on his plates...

Thats what most people do in these parts. NJ doesn't offer temporaries for state residents when they buy a car from someone besides a dealer. They do issue them for out of state residents though.

If the seller won't let you keep the plates, see if IN will issue temp. tags. Ohio seems to have excessive bureaucracy (and fees) related to DMV stuff. People like to make fun of NJ in this department, but believe it or not we don't have this red tape to deal with when transferring out of state titles.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Never hurts to ask the owner. I drove both mine through two states on owners tags

FedEx'ed em back the next day.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check the respective state websites

However, I drove a car from Chicago to KC with no tags. Figured I'd get stopped in Iowa for sure. Nope...passed several highway Po-Po's and none stopped me.

I'd say just have an insurance card and the bill of sale.

I bet if you're not speeding they won't bother you.

But...I won't be driving so check the DMV websites and see what they suggest.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default most states have a short term in transit...........

because the owner doesn't have to supply the title for 30 days in most states. check with both states and see if they offer "in-transit" certificates. some states also allow you to take a vehicle you just purchased with a "bill of sale" as proof the vehicle is in transit. in these situations you need a bill of sale written up with your address as buyer and their address as seller. you can type one up on the computer, nothing special, just make sure it has the addresses and the date of sale.

again, you'll need to talk to both state dmv's to see what's legal. i know i can do a bill of sale when i sell a vehicle and pull the plates. i'm not sure what states that's allowed in. you'd be supprised how easy it can be. you may get pulled over of course.

the big thing is to make sure you have insurance on the vehicle. if you get pulled over or to get a transit tag in most states, you need proof of insurance. i, personally, pay a little extra on my insurance that covers me when i transport a newly purchased vehicle. it lasts 30 days. it's pretty nice though. that way if i would happen to find something i want to buy on the spot, i'm covered and can drive it home without any trouble. beleive me, this happens alot more than you might think. i'm a sucker for a good deal!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ditto on checking the DMV website..

I have been under the impression that NY doesn't issue temp tags, but a check of the website and a phone call has shown me that they in fact DO offer in transit plates with a few mandatory rules.
You must have insurance on the car and it must be transferred to you and you must be the future registrant.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default actually i do have the tags from my current 4ks >>>

its currently immobile so i may just take those.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default we've always just grabbed an old plate and tossed it on and drove it home :-P

If you have someone following you, that's the easiest route.

Def have insurance on the car, but otherwise you'd be OK I'd think for a short transit. We did this with my brother's CQ back in the day when we bought it in NJ and we lived in PA. Didn't even get a 2nd look.

I didn't have to worry about it with the 4000 since it wasn't so mobile when I bought it, and generally plates aren't required when it's sitting on a trailer :-P
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I second Justin...

I drove a 200 from Rhode Island back here to MD with the tags off my CGT....! It helped that they were both black Audis... maybe. DOnt speed too much, make sure all the lights work...

Whats life without a little thrill..lol

Hal

Quick Reply: seriously considering buying a car from out of state. need help>>>