small piece of metal lodged in #1 cylinder hole

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch! if you dont mind me asking, what is the starter doing?

i so happen to be a starter motor expert with these cars

since i have replaced 2 allready...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Basically it's just clicking when you turn the key. I first suspected the battery (it's an 85-month Interstate so I would have been surprised), but even with a jump/full charge it won't do anything. Plus the starter is getting hot, so it's definitely getting power. I have a spare starter, so it'll be a free swap, just kind of a pain. In ten years it's never had the starter go out, so it's definitely due.

Hopefully I can mess with it tomorrow.

-Rog
Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the parking lot was empty yesterday I just push started it to get it home. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, using a Mercedes to push an Audi to get it started...

Anyway, I got one of my spare starters on and it works, but this starter sounds worse than the old one. Hopefully it lasts a couple months until I can get a new one at least. It's the one that came with my 10vt engine, so it was basically free and in unknown condition and I should be happy it works at all.

I guess the lesson is that if you get a squeaky chattering sound from your starter right after the engine starts, it's probably on its way out. Mine was doing that for a couple years, so you should have plenty of warning though.

-Rog
Old 11-25-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats good you got it home, when my first starter broke, the starter would engage and it would go in between starting and making a weird spinning noise. then after a couple more times of it being used it would engage and make a horrifying high pitch grinding noise. no engine turnover.

that was my first one. My second one wich came out of an 81 5000S was ten times bigger than the stock 4000 one. I had to switch out the solenoid for it to work. It looked like it came from a v8 motor... anyway when it broke, it just made a loud metalic click every time you tried to start the car.

good luck with the bad sounding starter motor, as long as your car starts like mine (one flick of the key) your starter should not take to much of a beating for te time being. I also have some really weird things going on with my car. Im going to send a PM to you if you dont mind. I have a feeling that most of the issues recently are from my car...

people may want to have a break from dear old audi-driver...