So, I *think* I fixed my issue with the misfiring on the 4000...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I *think* I fixed my issue with the misfiring on the 4000...

I got home yesterday and was soon after greeted by my local UPS guy dropping off my new magnecor wires!

I went to work quick to swap out the old wires and toss on the new. I double checked all the plugs and only found once cylinder/plug I didnt like the looks of. The #2 plug wasn't as *white* as the other 4 plugs and there seemed to be a small thin puddle of oil/gas in the piston dish. Wasn't to happy to see that, but I digress. I swapped over all the wires except the one from the distributor to the coil Unfortunately, the plug on that wire is not the right one to snap onto my coil (meant for the regular 4kq/MC coil vs the 034 coil I have instead). I will try to source a new end so I can use that wire as well, but for the mean time, the original one works fine.

I fired the car up but was still greated by a slight misfire. I figured I'd take the car out for a drive to see if it just needed its legs stretched and warm everything up.

Last night I had to meet up with some classmates to go over a homework for class on thursday so I figured this would be a good time. Lil road driving, lil highway... a good mix. By the time I got to his house ('bout 15 min away) it was running better, and the car wasn't hesitating/misfiring like it was. When I wound it out w/ stock boost, I was not greated by my little knock light either, which was a bonus.

After spending 3 hrs working on the hw, I was finally able to head home and figured I'd go out on a road by my house and stretch the 'ol girls legs... so being the genious I am, I flipped on the elec boost controller and was greeted once again with a steady and strong 14 psi . Unfortunately, that was short lived. I kinda pulled out front the stoplight rather aggressively and spun the tires (ooppppsssie) and wound out first and 2nd gear... and when letting off and shifting into 3rd, was greeted by VA Bch's finest f'in undercover cop was hiding in the dark/bushes.

It was a 50 mph speedlimit, so I didn't think I was going overly fast, but I didn't know as I wasn't looking at the speedo, and the speedo is way off as well, so that did me no good. I knew he was after me so I tossed on my flashers and drove down the road till there was a safe place to pull off.

I was greeted by the officer walking up to the car going... "a turbo charged audi 4000, huh?" ****... I'm in for it now. He clocked me at 65mph and i was shocked. I didn't realize I was going that fast (though I had an idea), and he didn't really buy my story unfortunately (even though it was true). He's like, I heard you spin the tires, and then heard you shift through 3rd gear (damn the loud exhaust and blow off valve!!!!!). He gave me a ticket for 65 in a 50 unfortunately, but was kind enough not to give me a wreckless driving ticket. Apparently in VA, if you spin the tires on your car, that's considered wreckless driving and carries a $2500 fine, plus the new retarded VA civil penalty of $2500 plus a slew of other things. I stared blankly at the officer, but he said he's just giving me the speeding ticket.

I got my ***** busted a bit about how it was a "great sleeper" and how he's sure I love going up to the transams and giving them a go. I chuckled and said I don't do that and he gives me a funny look. He's like, then why did you turbo charge the car. Knowing he wouldn't understand (or I'd dig myself a bigger hole) if I told him I drive it on racing circuits, I said it was a toy and I was doing something I hadn't done before.

So off I went with my tail between my legs kicking myself for doing that. Pretty pissed still about it, esp since I literally JUST took my "final" for the online driving school to kill off the last speeding ticket I got back in May coming home from PA on the eastern shore line... but as a bonus, at least the car runs better... lol. Gotta play with the timing more because it's EGTs are too high, but otherwise all is going OK.

No pix or anything exciting... just a happy yet bitter me. I knew this car was gonna get my in trouble eventually... lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bittersweet then, huh?

Glad the car appears to be running better

As for Mr. Policeman, booo! That stuff happens though, but unfortunately at the worst of times.

Im glad I havnt gotten into trouble yet with the 4ktq, but again its just the stock CIS setup.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ive got Mags. on my 90...not really impressed...I heard bad things about them too only after...

I had bought them lol. Gunna stick with oem bosch I think.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good to hear that some progress is being made Justin..!

Bummer on the ticket tho.. I got busted on the way to VIR last fall ... $140 later...

Hal
Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, it'll be $140 and then 4 points unless I can sweet talk the judge :(

I'm more concerned about the points than the $$ honestly. Yeah, I really don't have $140 to toss around, but the increased insurance will well over double that annually I'm sure.

So here's hoping I guess. Hasn't been a good year for me and speeding tickets. This is my 2nd in 5 months, and my last one was a year ago last april... so yeah, not good.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, well 14psi is 14psi...

I'm sure your car is probably on par with mine, though I might have a slight edge due to the bigger turbo and the massaged head on the car.

Regardless, yeah... bitter sweet... lol. damn the man for holding me down!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had 'em on my A4 for a while and havent really noticed any issues honestly...

figured I'd give 'em a shot again. Unfortunately they're blue, which doesn't go so well with my red, black and charcoal engine bay, but what have you :-P
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True

Im surprised at how well the car scoots with CIS.
These cars are fun no matter what (turbo or not).
Old 09-20-2007, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yup, they are def a blast...

My dad and I were chatting last night (they're down here staying in their vacation condo a lil south of me) about my dad's old 200 that I put to an early demise. He was telling me how the wastegate stuck and it went to like 1.6 or 1.8 bar vs the stock 1.2 or whatever it is. He's like, it took off like a monster.

I just smiled. I'm like, yeah, wait till I turn on the boost for you in the 4000, cuz it does pull just like a damn freight train.

Though this car pisses me off like no other, and I've contemplated putting it on the auction block and selling it just to rid myself of a headache... I smile like no other every time I drive it and step on the gas cuz it's_just_that_much_fun.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You and me both

Thought about selling this thing a few times, mainly for reliability purposes. The clutch issue tossed me over a cliff and I wanted the car gone because I needed a reliable DD for a job.

But, I got it fixed, started working on it again and realized I really couldnt give it up, I enjoy it too much. Even when I snap bolts off, scrape paint off of the sunroof panel, or spill fluids everywhere, I still love the car.

Definitely a "love hate" relationship, but more love

Quick Reply: So, I *think* I fixed my issue with the misfiring on the 4000...