Sunroof, uhh..yah. More also.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof, uhh..yah. More also.

So, after it stopped raining I decided to tackle the ol sunroof again. For those who dont know, Ive battled this SOB for a long time. The problem is, is that when the roof tries to slide back, the passnger side top of the sunroof scrapes the underside of the car roof. This results in minor cosmetic problems as the roof stops in its place.
Ive had the roof off the car and made sure it is aligned fine, which it is. With the roof off, there are metal plates that are held on by screws and "floating" female peices that the screws screw into. Well, one of the plates isnt held on by anything, because the "floating" female piece is resting against the headliner.
That was last year, I gave up on it then. I tried to adjust that side of the roof so that it was lower than the drivers side, no dice.

Come today, I was prepared to remove that metal piece and see what happens, but I got nowhere close. After undoing the interior panel and sliding it back, I tried to slide the roof back and see whats binding or catching. One of the rain tray levers looked to be cockeyed, so I tilted the roof and pushed it over by hand, then the roof appeared to move back a bit farther, but scraped again. At that point I noticed something odd. On the pass side, the plate that the sunroof uses to slide back (held on by screws and such), was cracked and broken. I have no clue when this happened, but it was a surprise to me. I wish I could describe the part better. In short, its long, has holes and a track for the sunroof bar to slide through .
So, it looks like I need another one of those at the very least. Anybody got any they can bring to Carlisle?

On a good note, after the sunroof fcked me over, I messed with the MC motor a bit. Got the oil filter housing, that fuel thing on the drviers side of the block, and one of the turbo oil lines off. The large turbo oil line bolts are stripped, so it doesnt look like Im messing with that one. Im gonna prep the block Monday and hopefully spray it Monday with some black paint. Still cant get that fricken crank bolt off, what a piece of crap.
Once I get my intake manifold bolts I can finish assembly of the head, which looks decent with the adjustable cam sprocket. One more week of NA power from this SOB and its going under the knife, Im pretty stoked to say the least
Old 05-15-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Sunroof, uhh..yah. More also.

please post the final results of your sunroof project when you figger it out. my sunroof is f*'d up. it goes back but jamms going foward and the tilt used to work just fine but now the SOB lines up cockeyed when i try to close it. for now i have decided to not have a sunroof but sometime this summer, i hope to fix the dang thing
Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No problem, Ive battled with mine for a while.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:16 AM

thanks. i look foward to it