Tic tic tic noise in the engine Coupe GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tic tic tic noise in the engine Coupe GT

I just got my first Audi Coupe GT last friday, and it's my first car!!! =P

There seems to be a tic tic tic noise coming from the engine. I'll try to get some vid of it tonight. Its kinda buggin me cuz i want it to sound like a ur quattro =P and the ticking sucks hahah

My dad said it could be the manifold leaking or cracked. how do i check this?

also my oil temp and water temp don't read anything. the water temp moves left to right over and over and the oil temp is locked at 0 24-7. any ideas?

things I changed so far:

New wheels ( 16 inch )
new tires
new brakes + rotors ( Brembos )
new shocks ( Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers )
new plugs ( Platinum )
spar plug wire ( Stock )
distributor cap ( stock )
distributor rotor ( Stock )

need to buy:

New Battery ( my sound system sucks it dry )
new shift *** ( anyone got one with the boot? )
New Exhaust ( can anyone help me find one that makes it sound like a sport quattro?)

Audi Turbo from the sport quattro ( long term project if anyone knows where i can find one let me know!!! )
Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It could be the exhaust manifold but I doubt it.

The 5-cylinders of your vintage have a tapping noise from valve lifters. The noise happens at start-up and can go away after a while. I love it, it's the definitive Audi noise.

However, if they're really loud, then they may need to be replaced.

A good way to distinguish if the noise is from the exhaust manifold is if the noise increases while accelerating normally. If it makes it when it's idling at start-up and it's emitted from the top area of the engine, it's just the lifters; a noise you would hear in that urQ you and I both dream of.

Enjoy the car!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hmm.. It does get quieter when it warms up.. but My dad has an exige and it does that too, but it's not as loud. i know his is his lifters. So I think your right and I'm just over reacting to noises =] lol

mine increases in speed ( cuz of rpm ) when I accelerate, but not volume.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

First thing to check is if the spark plugs are tight. They are known to back out and cause a nice tick. Inspect for exhaust leaks. Still nothing? Check coil and spark plug wires for arcing (in the dark I would suggest) and if those all pass it isn't very hard to remove the rod in the vacuum pump that is mounted to the head. It takes about ten minutes and the removal of two 13mm nuts. These are all easy and free tests and best done before one goes out and spends the $$$ on new cam followers. HTH
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove it today till it was nice and warm and tightened up the plugs and it almost went away 100% is that good?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It could be the rod in the vacuum pump that runs off the cam they are known to knock. Removing it will have no ill effects on the brakes.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
No Bozos!

Rod in vacuum pump or lifters. If it gets better warm I'd say lifters, but take a listen on the drivers side with a sounding rod near the vacuum pump to see if it's coming from that area. Also, how long was it sitting before you bought it? If it's been sitting for awhile then it may have some decent varnish buildup. By driving it the past few day's you may be wearing it away and loosening up those nasty deposits.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A good quality oil filter & 20/50 oil will help.

Try Mann or Mahle filters that may help increase th oil pressure
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, its usually the lifters if the sound goes away with warming up. Mine has actually gotten a lot quieter over the years, but I was looking at seafoaming it this week to see if it helps any. Definitely use the oem (mann/mahle) filters!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4corners
...........and if those all pass it isn't very hard to remove the rod in the vacuum pump that is mounted to the head. It takes about ten minutes and the removal of two 13mm nuts. These are all easy and free tests and best done before one goes out and spends the $$$ on new cam followers. HTH
What function does the rod perform in the vacuum pump if removing it has no effect on pump?

Quick Reply: Tic tic tic noise in the engine Coupe GT