Turn Signal Help - Need Electrical Experts With Schamatics

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Help - Need Electrical Experts With Schamatics

Well I considered myself pretty good at troubleshooting especially electrical stuff. Have been around variuos Audis for 25 some odd years (had to re-register with the new AW so I don't have a sig yet) and have solved some pretty strange electrical problems but this one has me stumped.

Patient is a 87 4KQ with in-op turn signals and emergency flashers. Dash indicator lights work for both the turn signals and the emergency flashers but no outside lights with any movement of the turn signal stalk or hazard switch.

Here is what I looked at last night for 2 hours. If anyone can figure this out I'll admit defeat!!!!!!!!

I can send a schematic via Email if anyone wants to help out.

1) Rely clicks when switched with stalk and I have voltage in and out of the relay. I jumpered relay 49 and 49b with no cahnge. This takes the realy out of the picture and should turn on outside lights without blinking??

2) I verified the turn signal stalk is operating properly by measuring the switch closure resistance.

3) Here is the strange part. At the hazard connector pin 15 is +12V from fuse 2. If I jumper pin 15 to pin R I get lights on the right side (outside front and rear) and if I jumper pin 15 to pin L I get lights on the left (outside front and rear). This tells me the wiring and grounds are good to the outside lights.

4) Maybe the hazard switch is bad - so I remove the hazard switch and jumper harness pins 15 to 49 with no change. During normal operation pin 15 is common to 49 so this should take the hazard switch out of the picture.

5) Maybe the flasher relay is bad - I jumper flasher pins 49 to 49b with the hazard switch removed and hazard pins 15 to 49 jumpered with no change. This shuold take both the relay and the hazard switch out ot the picture but still no outside lights.

6) Resistance readings from the R and L pins to ground at the hazard switch (with switch removed) were both 35 ohms. This seems resonable for the outside lights as this will be about 0.3 amps.

7) At the hazard switch I have +12V at both pins 15 and 30 indicating fuses 2 and 12 and wiring is good.

8) The relay clicks when the turn signal stalk is moved however the +12V to R or L (depending on which direction the stalk is moved) at the hazard connector goes to 0V - not sure why becase if I jumper 12V to the R or L the lights work.

Anybody got any ideas? TIA
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a911sc
Well I considered myself pretty good at troubleshooting especially electrical stuff. Have been around variuos Audis for 25 some odd years (had to re-register with the new AW so I don't have a sig yet) and have solved some pretty strange electrical problems but this one has me stumped.

Patient is a 87 4KQ with in-op turn signals and emergency flashers. Dash indicator lights work for both the turn signals and the emergency flashers but no outside lights with any movement of the turn signal stalk or hazard switch.

Here is what I looked at last night for 2 hours. If anyone can figure this out I'll admit defeat!!!!!!!!

I can send a schematic via Email if anyone wants to help out.

1) Rely clicks when switched with stalk and I have voltage in and out of the relay. I jumpered relay 49 and 49b with no cahnge. This takes the realy out of the picture and should turn on outside lights without blinking??

2) I verified the turn signal stalk is operating properly by measuring the switch closure resistance.

3) Here is the strange part. At the hazard connector pin 15 is +12V from fuse 2. If I jumper pin 15 to pin R I get lights on the right side (outside front and rear) and if I jumper pin 15 to pin L I get lights on the left (outside front and rear). This tells me the wiring and grounds are good to the outside lights.

4) Maybe the hazard switch is bad - so I remove the hazard switch and jumper harness pins 15 to 49 with no change. During normal operation pin 15 is common to 49 so this should take the hazard switch out of the picture.

5) Maybe the flasher relay is bad - I jumper flasher pins 49 to 49b with the hazard switch removed and hazard pins 15 to 49 jumpered with no change. This shuold take both the relay and the hazard switch out ot the picture but still no outside lights.

6) Resistance readings from the R and L pins to ground at the hazard switch (with switch removed) were both 35 ohms. This seems resonable for the outside lights as this will be about 0.3 amps.

7) At the hazard switch I have +12V at both pins 15 and 30 indicating fuses 2 and 12 and wiring is good.

8) The relay clicks when the turn signal stalk is moved however the +12V to R or L (depending on which direction the stalk is moved) at the hazard connector goes to 0V - not sure why becase if I jumper 12V to the R or L the lights work.

Anybody got any ideas? TIA
Did you ever find schematic for wiring? I need on too but can't find anywhere.Please post link if you found one
thanks