The weirdest mishap with clutch pedal and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The weirdest mishap with clutch pedal and tranny

i pushed the clutch in and thump my foot hit the floor. immediately i thought i snapped the clutch cable. turned out the actual pedal broke and sent that return spring flying all over the cockpit. went to jyard and got a new pedal. replaced it all, but when i began to put the clutch cable back on the tranny clutch arm i think i pulled too hard on that tranny clutch arm b/c i swore i felt a jerk and hard click. now with the car running and everything back together the car will not engage into any gear and with clutch cable adjustment the tranny actually makes a horrible grinding noise when trying to depress clutch pedal. Any ideas as what happened here? i figured i'm definitely going to have to replace the clutch so i bought a new kit the other day. i just hope that will solve the problem. i love my 82 coupe and don't want to see it go to audi heaven -mason-
Old 09-08-2003, 04:56 AM

Default Sounds like...

To me it sounds like one or more of two things...Either the T.O bearing is NFG, or some of the springs on the pressure plate are broken. The latter happened to me...It caused the clutch pedal to hang up a little, and in hot weather, the car would creep when in 1st with foot on clutch, along with a little slippage while going up hills, etc. Another possibility is that the arm on the trans slipped or is slipping on the splined post it's mounted to. If I were doing this job, I'd replace clutch, PP, TO bearing, and the cable all at once, while checking the flywheel and bolts. If the trans leaks fluid, now's a good time to replace the seals too. Just my thoughts. I like buying parts from www.overnightautoparts.com, they're fast, in stock with free shipping over $50...I've never had a problem and it's OEM stuff.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll be interested to know what you find... and it wouldn't hurt to look at

Your shifter bearings. I had mine fall out of the car last month on me, and it was sorta like what you've described, only my tranny didn't make sounds.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Sounds like...

i'm having trouble finding where the heck the throw out bearing goes. in my clutch kit i got a new clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot tool, some grease, and the throw out bearing. i never see a spot in the Bentley for this bearing. please help -mason-