What do you folks think about Slick 50 Engine treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you folks think about Slick 50 Engine treatment?

I've had good luck with this stuff in the past... but never had the opportunity to ask a forum like this. Any thoughts out there?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Don't do it.

It's crap, plain and simple. It does more harm than good; it'll clog your oil filter, and can score the cylinder walls. Changing your oil every 3000 is the best thing you can do for it. You won't get any sort of performance gains, longevity increase, etc. Save your money.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How about this?

I occasionally put about half a quart of Marvels Oil in my engine when changing my oil, it quiets the tick of the lifters, and from my understanding, helps clear deposits. You think its a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 50% Slick, 100% Scam

The motor could show noticably less wear with Slick50, but in my lifetime?

In my opinion, using a quality motor oil, with the proper weight, good OE oil filter, and regular changing intervals are enough for me.

When a product says it can "Improve compression", there must be something in there that acts as a sealant. Where does that sealant go? Everywhere, including oil passages, lifters, and oil pump.

<a href="http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/9707/slick.htm" target="_blank"><b>QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50</b>
Agreement Safeguards $10 Million in Redress to Consumers</a>

<a href="http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9909/prolong.htm" target="_blank"><b>Prolong Super Lubricants Settles FTC Charges
</b>Performance Claims for Motor Oil Additive Were Unsubstantiated</a>

<a href="http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9905/duralub2.htm" target="_blank"><b>FTC Charges Motor Oil Additive Marketers</b>
Ads for Dura Lube Were False and Unsubstantiated, Agency Says</a>

<a href="http://www.desertsundirectsales.com/aftermarketadditives.htm" target="_blank">AMSOIL's opinion</a> - of course, they make oil, so they will be somewhat biased.<ul><li><a href="http://skepdic.com/comments/slickcom.html">And here are more opinions than you can shake a greasy stick at</a></li></ul>
Old 11-21-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, the FTC isn't after them, so I guess that is a plus
Old 11-21-2002, 09:13 AM

Default Supposidly bad

Slick 50 and many other engine additives are bad. Most engine additives use Polytetrafluoroethylene as a lubricant, which is also known as Teflon but that name is registered to Dupont. And Dupont has been qouted saying Teflon serves no purpose in combustion engines. But what does Dupont know about this kinda stuff?(sarcasm)

Think of it this way, if they coat your engine with this lubricant which bonds to the metal of fast moving parts. Think how much more bonds to non-moving parts, which cloggs small oil lines and oil filters.

In fact, Slick 50 has been sued multiple times for false claims of improving reliablity.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Marvel is good stuff, I use it too.

Marvel quiets the lifters because it's a detergent; it cleans all the gunk out of the lifters, frees them up and lets them work properly again. Slick 50 quiets lifters by being thick and 'cushioning' the lifters, but the problem is it'll gum everything up worse over time from being heated and cooled repeatedly. Keep on with the Marvel, it's great stuff.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Oh yeah, one other thing. Ever wonder how it gets its name?

It's 50 weight motor oil with tiny teflon pellets added. Which means it's A) Too thick to use in a normal engine, and B) Abrasive.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow! There's a lot of opinions about this!

Wow! Didn't realize some the stuff quoted above, paticuarly the lawsuits stuff. I had used it in a couple of buicks I had, and had real longevity [223,000 miles on a station wagon w/big 4 cyl, and 192,000 miles on a Skylark] but this was back around 10 years ago.

Guess that the abrasive part of things is really detrimental to highly engineered motors like our Audis.

Do the Europeans or Germans use any additives regularily? anyone know about this?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:20 AM

Default I've only used it once...

A long time ago I had an 82 Datsun 210 'MPG'. I was getting high 30s on the highway, and after I put that stuff in it netted me closer to 43mpg. I haven't used it since after hearing all the bad stories though.

Quick Reply: What do you folks think about Slick 50 Engine treatment?