Who has what I need ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has what I need ???

So after some more troubleshooting today I have found the issue with the Coupe. It is the fuel distributer. Anyone have one or know if I can get mine rebuilt

I am going to contact Bosche and see what they say about getting it rebuilt and then go from there. At least we are making progress and know why it wont stay running.

Cheers;

Mike K
Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you determine it was faulty?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm sure it could be rebuilt for a price. I think the only ones available now are rebuilt...

and they ain't cheap. I've got a JT one if you can use that and are sure that's your problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How I determined it was faulty?

Well I knew that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was good as I bought some from Dallas a while ago and each one pressurized fine. When you loosen the screws on the FPR it spurts alot of gas out of it. So I knew the fuel was getting to the Fuel Distributor. I also knew that the car would run on the cold start valve so it is getting fuel so there was no blockage in the lines. I pured some Fuel Injector cleaner into the tank along with fresh gas last week to make sure that all the lines were good, and there is no gas leaks as the fuel lines are all fairly new. So the final test was to pull off one of the fuel lines at the fuel distributor and then crank the car to see if any fuel was being sent to the lines and there was absolutely nothing! Not a drop made it out of the fuel distributor so the motor is not getting any gas.

So Kelbrig1 what would you want dollar wise for the distributor?

I am still going to contact a place in town that is a Bosch distritubtor and see what it would cost to rebuild mine, but from the sounds of it, the cost might prohibit that.

Mike K
Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you lift the flap when cranking?

>the final test was to pull off one of the fuel lines at the fuel distributor

I'm asuming that you mean one of the injector lines? That makes sense.

>and then crank the car to see if any fuel was being sent to the lines and there was absolutely nothing!

You didn't specifically mention it, so I'll ask:
Did you lift the flap up, when doing that test?
If the metering flap hasn't moved up (at least a bit) when the fuel pump is on, no fuel will flow to the injectors..

And if you have even a small vaccum leak, the flap won't lift with only the small ariflow that you get when cranking. (BTDT!)

Considering the likely hood of a vaccum leak, compared to the likelyhood of the fuel distibutor going bad, I'd go for the (mystery) vaccum leak as being a cause.

I'd suggest that you try you same test as before, but take the air boot off and lift the plate a fair amount when you are doing your test crank, and see if you get any fuel then.

A 'mis-diagnosis' could turn out to be expensive, not to mention frustrating...
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All the vacuum lines are new.

I replaced them last year so they are good. However I didnt lift the metereing flap when I did the test. I will try that to be sure. As the car hasnt run well over the past several years, I can see the distibutor getting gummed up, but never hurts to check it right instead of replacing something that might not need to be replaced.

Thanks for the insight.

Mike K
Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: All the vacuum lines are new.

>All the vacuum lines are new.

Yes, but this is an Audi we are talking about! :-)
Having all the 'lines' in good shape can't hurt at all.

But in this case, we are talking about *any* vaccum leaks, and not nessesarily the skinny vaccum lines.

The funky hose that's downstream of the ISV can crack. The big boot over the flap can be on 'not quite right'. The clamp and boot at the throttle body can leak a bit.

If you have *any* other leak happening, you can end up chasing your tail all over the place!

Now thinking..

You said you did get it runing by tripping off the cold start valve. If you got the motor running that way, it *should* them be pulling enough air to overcome a small vaccum leak, and pull the flap up a bit, so that may sort of confirm you diagnosis.

On the other hand, It's not hard to try cranking and lifing the flap, just to be sure.

And you never know, when you have everything apart after trying that, you may be lucky, and find something.. :-)
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: All the vacuum lines are new.

ill add my two cents worth most fuel distributor failures are the result of crap in fuel so be sure to check tank pull sender out and look inside also fuel pressure test is a must ive seen lots of cars with 40-50 psi of fuel press that will spray allover but wont run because you need about 70psi
Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

70 psi will run okay maybe..but the system is designed for around 90 to run right.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sent you an email

Quick Reply: Who has what I need ???