1989 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo

Hey I've got a 1989 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo... I bought the car for 900 bux and i have dumped a ton of money into it... anyone who has had one or has one... help me out! Should I keep the car or what should i do to it? I can't keep it on the road longer than a week.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 1989 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo

Its pretty hard to give opinions without knowing anything about your problems. Then even after we know what the problems are, it is sometimes delicate to guess diagnose without getting real good information.

Warning, these cars have been known to get quite expensive to maintain at older age unless you are somewhat mechanically inclined and can do some light to medium work yourself. Or if you happen to have a very fat wallet, rich uncle, rich grand parents, or rich dad, forget that I said this. If the last sentence above is correct, would you care to adopt someone less fortunate?

Do you have any of the model and year repair manuals to assist? If not and if you plan to keep the car, it is highly suggested that you buy a Bentley Repair manual or at least a Haynes repair manual to guide you. Without these, it is tough to give any help to you.

Now that thats all said and done, what's the list of all these problems? I will now be turning this over to some smarter guys.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I hvae replaced my windsheild, turbo, window motors, tie rods, brake cables, brake pads, brake calipers, idle stabilizer valve, radiator, after-run coolant pump, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifolds gaskets, cv boots, spark plugs, suspension, wipers, taillights, battery, oil filter, air filter, and a few smaller things here and there... after i got the exhaust and intake manifold gaskets replaced, cuz the old ones blew out and my car sounded like a harley, five minutes on the road and my clutch went... and i let it sit for about a week and then it wouldnt start cuz it turns out i need a new power coil to have it turn over. It has now been sittin in my driveway for 2 months gathering dust and snow... what do i do?!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:03 PM

What's wrong with the clutch? Are you low on brake fluid? Could it be the master or slave cylinders? The former is pretty straightforward to DIY...the latter shouldn't be too hard but seems a little more involved. Have heard a shop can do both for $300. But if it's the disk, pressure plate, etc...I've heard those are pretty expensive.

Sounds like you're almost there...
Old 12-12-2002, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was driving along and i heard a loud squealing sound... 3 mechanics have told me its the throw out bearing and the work area.. and i need to get new ones... and they said i most likely cracked the pressure plate too...
Old 12-12-2002, 10:05 PM

Default Clutch job.

It'll run about $1,000 for parts and labor. Mostly for labor!

A loud squealing sound, mostly between idle and 2500rpm is the throw-ouch bearing. BTDT last year on my 1990 200q.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as the 'work area'. But it doesn't matter what BS the mechanics are telling you about a 'cracked pressure plate, a correctly done clutch job consists of a new friction disk, a new pressure plate, a new throw-out bearing and it's plastic guide sleeve, a new pilot bearing, a resurfacing of your flywheel, a new rear main oil seal, and possibly tranny input shaft seal while the whole unit is out.
If you plan to keep her, replace the clutch slave cylinder also...cheaper in the long run.

Also, if you haven't replaced the tranny oil, get 3.5 qts of GL4 (not GL5!) synthetic gear oil.

Yes, these Type 44 Audis are a financial black hole. My list is just as long and distinguished.
:-)
Old 12-13-2002, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Clutch job.

I had a new clutch kit put into my 87 5000cstq about 2 years ago, throw out bearing seized, and it was around 1k to get done, plus I also had new transmissions mounts and a rear engine mount put in, labor was the big hit!
But now, it runs like a dream, well except when it has it's little moments which we all know type 44's have.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:00 PM

I did it myself for about $300
Old 12-13-2002, 01:18 PM

Default I would have also, but it happened at 4am....

while home for Xmas, and leaving Atlantic City with my wife and her friends. 25 degrees F outside.
I had to let someone else touch my car, something I haven't done in 14 years.

I had the (in)famous Bruno of Bruno's Quattro Center in Queens, NY do my clutch.
$1000. and the job was botched.
I couldn't get into reverse without forcing it.
And the engine vibrates and howls at >3,000 rpms.
It was revving smooth to redline before the clutch job.

He wouldn't look at it afterwards.

So, warning goes out....avoid Bruno's Audi Quattro Center.

I guess it'll be another 14 yrs before I let another work on my cars again!
Old 12-13-2002, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Clutch job.

I did the clutch job on my '88 5kcstq. In my case, the throwout bearing failed horribly, and the bearings fell out onto the floor when I separated the tranny from the motor. The disc didn't look bad tho' for over 170k+ miles on it.

I took my time and I think the car was apart on the stands for a couple months while I did stuff besides work on it. Luckily no extra parts when I was done!

Then I let it sit when the a/c started blowing heat the same time. Took out the control head and was going to fix it. Then summer was over and I started driving it again. I had to put the control head in to get the heat to work.

I've been driving it daily for the past few months, and then last night the exhaust manifold really started to open up. Today it's either falling off or cracked wide open.

I have a 2-piece manifold I have to put on, but I'm not looking forward to that job. While I'm at it, I may swap the K26 for a K24 since I'm only running 15psi anyway.

I put the car on the side of the house today, and finished getting my Coupe GT running, which will take over as daily driver until I feel like pulling the 5kcstq head (supposedly the easiest way to do the exhaust manifold).

When I can get both the 5kcstq and the Coupe GT somewhat on the road with working features, I'll be able to put the MC-1 in the 4ksq.

In my opinion, you need both the ability to work on your own Type 44, AND a fat wallet. I couldn't imagine paying someone else to do all this crap.

If you like to work on cars, and enjoy the results of a job well done, Type 44's are perfect for you.

When everything's working, or most things are working, these cars are wonderful.

Quick Reply: 1989 Audi 200 Quattro Turbo