1990 v8 poor acceleration and low idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 v8 poor acceleration and low idle

Just bought a 1990 v8 yesterday. I have to admit I never had experiences with an Audi before. Drove 90 miles to get it home. While I was driving, I can feel the uneven response of the gas pedal. There is no response when the gas pedal was pressed down one inch or two. It was hard to get over 60 mph. The car would idle so low to even hit the bottom of the tachometer. Occasionally the Tachometer will get up to 800 rpm for a second during idle. The gas tank was full. When I was doing sharp turns on the high way, if I apply brakes to slow it down, I will have push the gas pedal hard to get some pick-up. Does anybody know of a good Audi shop in New York City? I am still trying to find owner's manual and shop manual for this car.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bruno's comes to mind, he's familiar with the V8
Old 06-10-2004, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Bruno's comes to mind, he's familiar with the V8

Bruno Kreibach
Quattro Center
751 Onderdonk Ave
Ridgewood Queens
718-368-1420

Very well run shop. A couple of other people on this board and the audifans list have gone to him to have work done on their cars. All the feedback has been positive about him. The last time I was there he was charging $75 an hour for labor and there was a diagnostic fee. I forgot how much that was.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:23 PM

Default I didn't have a good experience at Bruno's.

I had his shop replace my clutch when it seized on my way home while in NJ. Limped into NYC to his shop on account of recommendations.
It took 3 days, and $1100 for a Sachs clutch kit shift linkage and a used OEM catback exhaust because mine couldn't be reused.
First thing I noticed, I had a lot of trouble getting into reverse.
After a few days, the car vibrates whenever I rev pass 3000rpm, accompanied by a loud rattling.
I went back to him and he claimed the noise was my exhaust. I begged to differ as the clutch pedal pulsed whenever above 3000rpm. He took it around the block once and declared everything is OK. Unless the tranny fell out, he wasn't going to do anything. Months later, I discovered one of the starter bolts was missing a nut!.
Needless to say, I was not satisfied. His explanation doesn't excuse his shop since they installed the Used exhaust system that he declared good.
I believe it's a bad clutch, or poor install.
Reverse is still hit or miss. And Adam Mowafy mentioned he felt the same pulsing and vibration after installing his clutch.
I asked a racing instructor friend about it and he immediately suspected a poorly balance pressure plate.
If it is a defective clutch, it still doesn't excuse Bruno. Afterall, they installed it, and the shifter was returned badly aligned.
YMMV.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I didn't have a good experience at Bruno's.

Sorry to read about your bad experience. I've had similiar experiences with local shops who have done good work on certain jobs and then done shoddy work on other jobs. I guess I should have prefaced my post with a "ymmv".

In your case I don' understand why you don't pursue this since he provided both the exhaust and clutch kit. You say it's the clutch, but he says it's the exhaust. In either case it seems like he is liable for correcting the installation or part.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sjmautotechnik.com

Try this link for more information on your V8.

You can make the test light by buying a 12v LED with resistor from Radio Shack. Make sure you buy the LED and not a regular light bulb. The LED has a cathode (negative) and annode (positive).

Subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com about $25 for the first year and $15 thereafter for renewal.

Join www.audifans.com V8 Quattro newsgroup, lot of knowledgeable folks there.

What is the mileage on the car and when was the timing belt last changed? You might need a major tune up.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/TROUBLE_SHOOTING/ecufv8.html">sjmautotechnik.com</a></li></ul>
Old 06-15-2004, 03:22 PM

Default He was very hesitant, and I needed my car. I'm in Boston.

And he's in NYC.
If the car completely stopped running, I could convince him to look at it.

That was the first time in 15 years that I allowed someone else other than myself to work on one of my cars. That will also be last time I do that.