1990 v8 quattro transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 v8 quattro transmission problem?

bought a used 1990 v8 quattro for my daughter, today i got a call from her that she was having priblems. She starts the car puts it into reverse and it won't back up. I try it and when it is in reverse there are 2 bursts from a horn and the car barely moves, like the emergency brake is on. I give it a bit of gas and it started to move, abit more and it moved a bit more. tried forward and no problem, tried reverse again an it got alot better. I shut off the car and the problem started all over again, got it to move in reverse, every attempt go a little better. It almost seems that the car is binding somewhere, i put in park and reved the engine and it felt that is was still kinda in gear. any suggeations? why would a horn sound if the transmission had problems?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you 100% it was a horn? Dry transmission clutch plates can cause a similar sound. I would verify that is in fact fluid in that trans.

The transmission doesn't come with a dipstick (unless someone put a service tool in there in the cars past; that is they are available). You can get a universal one from your local auto parts store to use.

If the transmission does have fluid, I would suggests a flush. (I would suggest a flush regardless) Also take a look at the instrument panel, when you start the car, are the backgrounds of all the gear indicators "lit"; if so then the trans is in "limp" mode which could point to a electrical point.

How long have you had the car?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 1990 quattro

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
Are you 100% it was a horn? Dry transmission clutch plates can cause a similar sound. I would verify that is in fact fluid in that trans.

The transmission doesn't come with a dipstick (unless someone put a service tool in there in the cars past; that is they are available). You can get a universal one from your local auto parts store to use.

If the transmission does have fluid, I would suggests a flush. (I would suggest a flush regardless) Also take a look at the instrument panel, when you start the car, are the backgrounds of all the gear indicators "lit"; if so then the trans is in "limp" mode which could point to a electrical point.

How long have you had the car?
Thank you so much for your response

I have had the car for about 1 year but just startede letting her drive it. I have been doing work on the car some odd and ends needed attention,wheel bearing hydarulic pump etc.

I will check the point that you have suggested and post. One thing that I have concluded is that she drove the car with no problems then over noght this popped up and i am thinking that she had to park on a steep grade at an angle and it the fluid is low it would pool to one corner once I moved the car the problem seemed to get better but once I returnde to the parking sopt is started to ge worse. As for the sound (horn) i an quite sure it was not the horn but sounded like one. Again I will try your suggestions and let you know. Tahnks so much, when I bought the car I thought it would be a good safe car for my daughter but once i started working on it I have found it to be quite complicated, but I did get the manual on CD and have fixed most of the issues myself, i think it is a great car hope that it won't hit me in the pocket too much.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ironman21
Thank you so much for your response

....i think it is a great car hope that it won't hit me in the pocket too much.
heh you dont know old audis very well do you? especially the v8 quattro. not many left on the road so replacment parts are not only very expensive they can be hard to find unless you know where to look.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey there Nick... we all have to start somewhere.. I can remember a time when you were asking all sorts of questions too...

The truth is we all need eachothers' help in keeping the V8 on the road.

ironman21.. the V8 is not that complicated (yes it is compared to a early doemestic car) but for other luxury cars of its day its very easy to maintain. You just have to get a base understanding of the different car systems and how to diagnose their individual problems. from that respect the V8 is very simplistic.

once you figure out what systems require what inputs to function the rest is mechanical part replacment. Since you already have the manual, it will have all the specific testing procedures that is the key, have the car blink out codes and then test the specific system.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

heh sorry didn't mean to come across as that i was flaming it was more of a ironic statment. ironman21 if your going to do a flush i would also change the transmission filter, number one cause of automatic transmission failure is due to not changing the fluid and filter.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a dip stick for the automatic, essentially new. The auto died in mine shortly after I got the dip stick. Go figure.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Calbha
heh sorry didn't mean to come across as that i was flaming it was more of a ironic statment. ironman21 if your going to do a flush i would also change the transmission filter, number one cause of automatic transmission failure is due to not changing the fluid and filter.
No problem I am just thankful for the advice.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
Hey there Nick... we all have to start somewhere.. I can remember a time when you were asking all sorts of questions too...

The truth is we all need eachothers' help in keeping the V8 on the road.

ironman21.. the V8 is not that complicated (yes it is compared to a early doemestic car) but for other luxury cars of its day its very easy to maintain. You just have to get a base understanding of the different car systems and how to diagnose their individual problems. from that respect the V8 is very simplistic.

once you figure out what systems require what inputs to function the rest is mechanical part replacment. Since you already have the manual, it will have all the specific testing procedures that is the key, have the car blink out codes and then test the specific system.
Did not get a chance to do the car today daughter had me runnin around, I will post results ASAP. I know that all of you have experience with this car and if i may, i found a place that has parts for this car and many other audis, you guys probably already know the place it is Shokan Coachworks, I have ordered several parts from here and they seem quite nice to work with so far. the link is http://www.shokan.com/ if this is old news I am sorry but wanted to throw what I know into he mix.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Calbha
Will do thanks

Quick Reply: 1990 v8 quattro transmission problem?