1990 v8 quattro transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should be "quite nice", their prices IMO are outta site (and not in a good way).

For V8 Parts:
New maintance items:
autohausaz.com
fap99.com
rockauto.com
worldimpex.com
germainautoconnection.com
used parts:
ITSAV8 (Ron)
Force 5 Auto
myself
audifans.com marketplace - wanted.
justfourrings.com wanted section.
Honestly I've needed my share of parts, and have never had to use Shokan.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok how weird is going to get? I took the advice of V8QinNJ which is much appreciated by the way and here is the following. My daughters 1990 V8 developed a problem whereas after a normal trouble free drive she parked the car and the next morning it would not go in reverse, the transmission engaged but it was like the brakes were on, got to move in both directions but only in forward seemed to work normally. Today I went to the car which is on the 8th floor of a parking garage to with a few quarts of trans fluid and a dip stick, I start the car before checking anything, fired right up want to make sure the problem still existed, put in reverse and worked perfectly that is until I put into drive or a forward gear nothing it is like it is in neutral. All gears all settings no forward movement just reverse which is working fine, I checked the trans fluid seemed a bit weak meaning the viscosity was not like the fresh ATF, not sure what the level should be since there is no dip stick only the aftermarket one used just to check if there was in fact any ATF at all. I put 2 quarts in and it did register more fluid than originally found but this did not help reverse is fine but no forward, the exact opposite from the other day. I can not believe that after a normal drive and parking overnight would cause this problem there is no puddles under the car the car did have ATF and now forward will not engage. Before I try and drive in reverse the entire 8 floors of this garage and either tow or flatbed is there any other suggestions to get this thing moving to at least get it home the trip by the way is 35 miles each direction to where the car is parked. In my younger days I would have driven the car in reverse at night all the way home. Any more suggestions are most welcome and V8Qin NJ, I thought we had it.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

hate to say it , but sounds like the trany is done. When was the last time you had the trany serviced? The correct service, is to drop pan, change filter, add 4qts. Drive for little while, drain via drain plug, add four quarts. repeat second part till fluid is nice and red. Simply adding fluid not knowing whats in there is not a good idea.After Scott told you the noise you heard was the sound the trany makes when low on fluid,WHY would you go and start it agian knowing that?? Funny how we only remember to service things after they start to act up,or worse, break.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Shade tree ATF swap for the V8 goes like this, drop the filler plug and let it all drain out. Put in 1 gallon and your good to go. Too much is almost as bad as too little, BTDT! Good luck.

Originally Posted by ironman21
Ok how weird is going to get? I took the advice of V8QinNJ which is much appreciated by the way and here is the following. My daughters 1990 V8 developed a problem whereas after a normal trouble free drive she parked the car and the next morning it would not go in reverse, the transmission engaged but it was like the brakes were on, got to move in both directions but only in forward seemed to work normally. Today I went to the car which is on the 8th floor of a parking garage to with a few quarts of trans fluid and a dip stick, I start the car before checking anything, fired right up want to make sure the problem still existed, put in reverse and worked perfectly that is until I put into drive or a forward gear nothing it is like it is in neutral. All gears all settings no forward movement just reverse which is working fine, I checked the trans fluid seemed a bit weak meaning the viscosity was not like the fresh ATF, not sure what the level should be since there is no dip stick only the aftermarket one used just to check if there was in fact any ATF at all. I put 2 quarts in and it did register more fluid than originally found but this did not help reverse is fine but no forward, the exact opposite from the other day. I can not believe that after a normal drive and parking overnight would cause this problem there is no puddles under the car the car did have ATF and now forward will not engage. Before I try and drive in reverse the entire 8 floors of this garage and either tow or flatbed is there any other suggestions to get this thing moving to at least get it home the trip by the way is 35 miles each direction to where the car is parked. In my younger days I would have driven the car in reverse at night all the way home. Any more suggestions are most welcome and V8Qin NJ, I thought we had it.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 32vquattro
hate to say it , but sounds like the trany is done. When was the last time you had the trany serviced? The correct service, is to drop pan, change filter, add 4qts. Drive for little while, drain via drain plug, add four quarts. repeat second part till fluid is nice and red. Simply adding fluid not knowing whats in there is not a good idea.After Scott told you the noise you heard was the sound the trany makes when low on fluid,WHY would you go and start it agian knowing that?? Funny how we only remember to service things after they start to act up,or worse, break.
I did not think by starting the car in park would cause further damage, when I put in reverse i only moved it a foot or two then in drive to move it back a foot or two. When the car would not engage I returned back to park and checked the ATF. Since the sound that the car made means that it is low on fluid I checked it with a dip then added a quart tried again, same results then added another quart, same results shut it down and left to ponder my options.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Be careful.... I sense drooling v8-ophiles waiting for you to give up on fixing the beast
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=hdmyers;23768631]Be careful.... I sense drooling v8-ophiles waiting for you to give up on fixing the beast [/QUOTE

Depends on what the transmission problem is, if it is a quick and inexpensive fix I will keep her if not, well who knows for the right price i can be had!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UM, no offense but, "Since the sound that the car made means that it is low on fluid I checked it with a dip then added a quart tried again,"
Where is this coming from? You have put 3 qts in, meaning if not way over filled, you were way low before, yet you didn't mention any noises before. So now after 2 + qts added you "know" what the low ATF fluid noise is? If no leaks, I'd bet way over full now. Drop the fluid and pt in 1 gallon so at least you know it is not a level issue. Cheap check @ $10 or so.

Originally Posted by ironman21
I did not think by starting the car in park would cause further damage, when I put in reverse i only moved it a foot or two then in drive to move it back a foot or two. When the car would not engage I returned back to park and checked the ATF. Since the sound that the car made means that it is low on fluid I checked it with a dip then added a quart tried again, same results then added another quart, same results shut it down and left to ponder my options.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4x5x5
UM, no offense but, "Since the sound that the car made means that it is low on fluid I checked it with a dip then added a quart tried again,"
Where is this coming from? You have put 3 qts in, meaning if not way over filled, you were way low before, yet you didn't mention any noises before. So now after 2 + qts added you "know" what the low ATF fluid noise is? If no leaks, I'd bet way over full now. Drop the fluid and pt in 1 gallon so at least you know it is not a level issue. Cheap check @ $10 or so.
I did mention the noise in the orginal post but after I got the car to move orginally the noise stopped that is when I shut it down, thought it was prudent to investigate and get a better idea of what a solution would be before I caused major damage. Then I came back a 2 days later and tried the ATF but befor I did I tried the car and it acted totally different than 2 days before. I stopped by an import repair shop that specializes in Audi and Mercedes the owner who really semmed to know the car mentioned that it could be the brake switch (seems that if the brake lights are out it send a message to the trans to shut down) or it could be the trans control module or since i am an idot (i checked the trans fluid with the car off) he wanted me to start the engine let it run and then check the level while the car is running duhh. Any way so far I would like to thank everyone who has replied, your help is apprecieated.

the link to the repair shop is http://www.rennology.com they are located about 10 miles from my house and never knew it.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

i dont think that its a good idea to be telling him to put exsactly one gallon in. since its pretty hard to tell whats in there now! not to mention that when you drain out the automatic transmission it doesn't completely drain. when you do a atf change you are supposed to put in the exsact ammount that you take out, (assuming the tranny has no leaks of course) from what i was told when doing an atf change is to drain it out, till it stops draining, start the car BRIEFLY! for about 30 seconds max just letting it run in idle, which will allow more atf fluid to drain, (if the fluid slows down on draining while the car is running shut it off. have somone watch it drain. then fill and repeat one more time. i did do this to my 1990 auto v8, and it worked perfectly fine no damage or anything. if any higher up grurus ie scott and ron want to argue this method then i seriously encourage you to listen to them and not me.

Quick Reply: 1990 v8 quattro transmission problem?