1991 V8Q Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cause thats what happens with a bad oil pump bearing. If you want the technical

geez I dunno, I got the water pump & tensioners, and was feeling pretty darn satisfied with myself. It sure makes sense tho, if I had to pick a side it'd be the p-side. And I have been noticing lately that the oil pressure wasn't as strong as it has normally been. Sigh. One more time taking the whole front off. Yay. Oboy.

So...um....other than water pump and tensioners, what else shouldn't I miss?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is what I replace.

Timing belt
Water pump
Tensioner roller
Idler roller's
Tensioner dampener shock- (Optional)
Friction pad
Front cam seals
Front crank seal
Front t-belt cover gaskets
Oil pump pulley bearing
Front oil pump pulley seal
Dizzy flange seals
Dizzy O-rings
Valve cover gaskets- (if needed)
Caps & rotors- (if needed @ the time)

I get my parts from Bruce @ GAC.
& you have the t-belt tools?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: This is what I replace.

Yikes, that's ambitious, but given the amount of pain, frustration, effort, and sheer ridiculousness involved in just getting to the darn thing it makes sense to throw everything at it, including the kitchen sink. Ah what the heck, it's time to break out the old beamer for the summer anyway (sorry for the blasphemy but at least working on that thing is like fixing a lawn tractor)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Cause thats what happens with a bad oil pump bearing. If you want the technical

DAMMMMMMMMMM...thats the sound im getting...on the passangers side bit eregular just noticed it last nite topping off the fluids (ies and oil)
took the Dr, stethescope to it...very loud on the outside timming cover but not the inside...made me worry it was the NEW water pump!!!
i changed EVERYTHING but the damm oil pump or the bearing!!!...figures and to fix it its all the same WORK!!!
...Eshhhhhhhhhh and i have the 928 torque tube all most out. Just what i need one more thing to add to my list...lalalala....thinking happy thoughts...lol
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I would guess at a sticking or collapsed lifter. What oil you running?

I don't think I ever got back to you on this. Turns out it was a completely disintegrated timing belt pulley. I mean, completely disintegrated, chunks were flying around under the cover. I can't believe it didn't jump and trash my engine...again... Replaced belt, and everything that spins and / or touches it in any way, shape, or form.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: This is what I replace.

I don't think I ever got back to you on this. Turns out it was a completely disintegrated timing belt pulley. I mean, completely disintegrated, chunks were flying around under the cover. I can't believe it didn't jump and trash my engine...again... Replaced belt, and everything that spins and / or touches it in any way, shape, or form.