200TQ Engine revs to 4k, check engine light comes on, engine cuts out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200TQ Engine revs to 4k, check engine light comes on, engine cuts out.

Hi,

Just to clarify my last post with what actually happens in my 1989 200 TQ: Car will rev to 6k no problem in 1st. In any other gear car will a)rev to 4k rpm b)Check engine light comes on c) engine cuts out. If I lay off the throttle a little, the car will rev to 6k rpm in other gears, it is just under full throttle that it cuts out. Just want to make sure that I go for the right thing to fix.

Thanks for your help.

TQ200
Old 01-04-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Re:Also, car won't start if doesn't start right away.

If I go to start the car and I don't get is started right away (by pumping gas) it is a bear to get started then. I need to let is sit for at least ten minutes, then try again.

Whadda think--two seperate problems?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re:Also, car won't start if doesn't start right away.

maybe it's your fuel pump dying a slow death?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Its your waste gate diaphram they

always rip and than the car over boosts and you hit fuel cut. Hook up a boost gauge to the intake manifold and you will see you are geting more than 10 psi.
When you go part throtle you are not geting full boost even when you are going all the way to red line.
There is a nother way to check, pull of the top vacum hose off the waste gate (the small hose) and suck to make vacum if you cant get the vacum to hold than the diaphram is riped.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:46 AM

Default Shot in the dark....

Okay, I'm going to take a long shot here, so try and stay with me.

Are your plugs getting fouled? Are you blowing out a bunch of black smoke? How long have you owned the car? How long has it been doing this?

I've got a 5000 TQ Avant that does the same thing, but it fouls out plugs once every 2 days. Here's why. The previous owner noticed that the car was running rich, or lean, so he/she cranked on the CO adjustment screw until it fixed the problem. Well, that worked for a while, but then it happened again. The car starts running like crap, they tweak on the CO adjust ment screw and the problem goes away again. For awhile.

What is really happening is that the FPR or the warmup regulator is getting crap in it and it's sticking shut. Adjusting the CO on the CIS box temporarily fixed the problem but only fixed a part of it, because they tweaked on it for so long, that it now refuses to rev past 3k RPM and it fouls out plugs, and really sucks to start if it doesn't kick over on the first start.

Here's how to remedy the problem. Take off the fuel pressure or warmup regulator. Put a blower on your air hose (if you have compressed air available to you) and put it up to the inlet. More than likely, there will be so much crap in there that the air can't even force it's way through. Gently rap on the FPR with a hammer gradually increasing in force until you start blowing the rust and crap out of it and then continue to rap on it until you have an unobstructed flow of air through it. Then put it back on the car, prime the pump by turning the key foward and then back, so that the pump turns on and fire up the car. Dial back the CO screw on the CIS box until the car starts to run decent again.

If that isn't your problem, then you just wasted a lot of time reading this crap.

Good luck.

Chris