5kcs tq, good fun daily driver.....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5kcs tq, good fun daily driver.....???

Hey guys,
I've been looking for a good daily driver in the $2000 range. I'm set on getting something pretty sporty, as up until now I've only owned toyota pickups. (a 99 tacoma 2wd, and 98 4runner, and a 91 full prerunner/baja type build).

Anyway, I want to get something fun do drive day to day with rally type performance. When I say that, I dont expect to get a WRC car or anything, I just want a car that has rally style and something I can smoke some civics with .

So I was 99.9% set on getting a 1974ish bmw 2002... until I found this 5kcs quattro turbo for sale, pretty cheap. It's lowered 2 inches (yuk) and has some other engine work done to it. Intake and exhaust is all aftermarket, guy claims its very quick.

My main problem is I've never driven a big audi. I havent seen too many of them made into rally/autocross cars, it seems the 4000 and other modles are better at that. Am I getting a big heavy sedan that has good power, but isnt going to be a fun daily performer. I mean the 5k was sold as a luxory sedan, so how much performance can I get out of one?

I live in a semi rural area with curvy mountain roads all around, some paved some not. Is the 5000 something I'm going to be able to have fun with on the weekends, or should I stick to my guns and get a '02 bwm or something like that, lighter with a better power/weight ratio.

I know what I ask can only be answered by myself, but I want some of your opinions. thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 5kcs tq, good fun daily driver.....???

the 5ktq is quick stock and it can be made even quicker with a simple chip upgrade. i like the gear ratios - 3k rpms at 80mph in 5th, right at max torque

i think it handles like a big car and would not do well in autocross (audi's big heavy engine up front will make it push hardcore). they're pretty fun to drive though, especially in rough weather.

the big thing is to make sure it has been well taken care of, otherwise it'll cost you a small fortune to rectify the previous owner's mistakes. big problem areas are hydraulic steering/brake pump and rack (people put non-pentosin in the resevoir and it kills the system, like injecting lead into your veins), also the electrical system (wires in the driver's door boot) is almost a certain problem area you will encounter. there will almost certainly be some gadget in the car that won't work.

the mechanicals are pretty much strong, my tq has been through some rough running the past 3 months and it's running stronger now then it has since i've owned it (and i still haven't even gotten around to replacing the fuel filter, it's still running strong). they're fun to drive in the snow.

quattro rules, but beemers are nice too. as long as it's german-made it'll be fun to drive. my 5k has a certain character that i haven't experienced in any other car i've owned. and it wasn't terribly expensive to buy either (not very cheap to fix tho)
Old 03-18-2003, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, and no...

As Ben says, the type 44 Audi is not a good autocross platform. It's simply too big. I should know; I autocrossed mine 33 days last year. Who ever heard of putting Hoosiers on an Audi 200? I had it going quite well but it was never really close to competitive. Rain helped, but even then the AWD Scooby's were still hard to beat.

It's a big car. It doesn't like super-quick transitions. However, it's reasonably happy on the highway twisties. Yes, it will understeer some, but that usually only helps keep you out of trouble. A rear sway bar would help, but unforunately it would have to be custom manufactured or adapted from a later Audi 100 S4.

The car has some pretty good power, with good potential for even more power. However, being heavy it's not all that fast off the line. It is fast accelerating from speed, which represents more of a race track environment than a street-light drag race. A chip and a wastegate will increase your hp to 200+. Header and exhaust mods would add some more.

Driving around town, it's a fair bit bigger than most cars. It's comfortable, but certainly there are situations where a smaller car would be easier to park, fit down a narrow alley, make U-turns, etc.

I love my car. I wouldn't ask for much else in a car and I love driving it around even in the city. Not all my friends agree with me.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:00 PM
TPW
AudiWorld Member

I've found that any of the german built cars are a lot more solid than a toyota or any american cars. Any of my 5000's are fun to drive for their confort and the way they hold the road. I (or my wife) would not drive anything without front wheel drive or four wheel drive as we have always lived where snow covered and icy roads are common.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:59 PM

Default sounds like you want something lighter

even with mods that will easily increase your power into the 200-225 range it is still big and very heavy, definitely not rally potential. It is a nice comfortable car with respectable handling characteristics but it doesn't seem like it would fit the bill for what you say you want.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Yes, and no...

i have great daily driving fun inm my FWD 5KT
i travels ome tight turns as fast as my lowered GTI
and thats saying somethign as big as teh audi is
Old 03-18-2003, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well to state the obvious...

You should test drive it!

Then you will know if you like it or not...

Yep. It's big and heavy. No it won't be good for Autox. It will make a good track car or canyon carver with some suspension work...

Audi did race the type 44 platform in The Trans Am series and in some select rally destinations in the late 80's. Audi dominated the Trans Am series.

Both the 2002 and 5ktq are excellent cars...

If that car is chipped and lowered already and he only wants $2,000 it sounds like a good deal if it's been well maintained.

I bet once you drive it you'll like it

Steve
Michigan
Old 03-19-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "audi's big heavy engine up front" Um...

...nevermind.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: "audi's big heavy engine up front" Um...

you think it's light? please tell us
Old 03-19-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Re: "audi's big heavy engine up front" Um...

I wouldnt call my car light. but by no means is it heavy. I belive it comes in at a little under 2700 lbs. My 98 Jetta was onlt a few hundred less than that and a jetta is a "light" car. As for heavy cars how long has it been scince you loked at the spec sheet for a benz? The s55 I been looking at for a while is like 5800 lbs. Thats a heavy car. Jusy my opinion of course. There is one slight problem I have noticed on the handleing side though. I have a 3 speed slushbox and when it shifts under 1.3 bar during the lag the car pulls hard to the right. i am aware that this is just the realety of an auto tranny being driven like a grand prix car. But is there anyway to lessen the affect?