84 audi 5k cooling, electric, and climatronic problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 audi 5k cooling, electric, and climatronic problems

Just bought this car and i need some advice on a few problems.

1: cooling fan does not come on. I have jumped power to the fan it works fine. Bridge the wires are the thermo time switch and fan does not come on. Go to the relay. Jump relay and the fan works. So i then go back to the thermo switch (two wire)
I've got ground on the ground side but no power coming in. Checked fuses and they are ok. Car has been sitting a while. Where does this constant power supply for the thermotime switch come from? I mean the bently kinda gives me the walk around on this one.

2.Climatronic not functioning. Does not light up. Any where to start on this?

3. Seatbelt light stays on dim when driving.

Also the oil pressure warning light yells at me when revving over 3000rpm. Guessing the white oil switch?

thanks guys
Old 02-26-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: 84 audi 5k cooling, electric, and climatronic problems

Also the radio does not come on. Seems like it is not getting power like the climate control.

Do they share a fuse or power supply wire?

Like i said before if you look in the bently it doesn't say too much about these particular issues/problems/wires.

Thanks guys
Old 02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default COOLING CLIMATE PROBLEMS

Maybe this might help. On my 86 tqw in the fuse/relay panel under the hood there is a fuse that supplies power to these various circts. I think it was fuse # 25 or something. I do remember it was a 25 amp fuse. The prob I had was when the fuse was under load it would go open [no conn]. I just found it by accident One of the Audi Poltergeists hope it gives U a place to start. ALSO GO TO SJM AUDITECH WEB SIGHT LOTS OF GOOD INFO S
Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: COOLING CLIMATE PROBLEMS

I'll give that a go when i get a chance.

Hopefully it is all tied together as the car did not have these problems back when i owned it. Kinda odd.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your Bentley shop manual will help

You'll find the electrical schematic diagram for each model year 5000 in volume two. Be sure to examine the schematic for the 1984 model year only, because it's unique. Use it and a digital multimeter to troubleshoot your electrical problems.

The 1984 model year's cooling system was an anomally: it had a smaller (300 Watt?) fan motor with an internal voltage dropping resistor and a 3-pin (high speed, low speed, ground) spade connector. (Its radiator is also about 1.5 inches shorter than subsequent years'.) It uses a single thermoswitch (On - Off) with two pins. I *think* (confirm this with your schematic . . . mine is ten miles away) that one terminal of the thermoswitch connects to the high speed fan relay's coil and the other terminal connects to +12 Volts.

Oh the thermo-time switch doesn't control the rad fan. What does control the rad fan is the thermoswitch that screws into the radiator just below the lower radiator hose.