90' V8Q surging under acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
13 MPG IS NOT NORMAL -You should expect about 19 MPG overall. Check the wiring at the back of the block for crossion.
But do you mean 4.2 or 3.6? On 4.2 i get usually about 12mpg and thats mostly city driving, but i've never gotten over 16mpg overall, even with mostly highway.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vilpo
But do you mean 4.2 or 3.6? On 4.2 i get usually about 12mpg and thats mostly city driving, but i've never gotten over 16mpg overall, even with mostly highway.
from what i understand you should get better mileage with a 4.2 as they have more power to get up to speed. unless you floor it all the time which i can understand....:P
Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay then I'd look for "there's something wrong there" - that said quality fuel makes a HUGE difference - I only use 93 Octane.

Then if there is nothing "wrong" with the car I'd look for brakes dragging, carrying a dead guy in your trunk.. things like that. On my chipped 3.6 I *start* looking for things when I drop below 19MPG overall; and I check milage every tank. (math not the instrument cluster).

You could have dirty injectors, a not so good FPR.. a slow to act O2 sensor, Hall sender problem there is a lot that goes into it but the bottom line is - there is still something not right.

The 4.2 cars usually average 20+ MPG (overall). But I also don't race light to light either.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, well i run 98 octance at the moment, fpr replaced, fuel pump replaced, hall sender checked, maf checked, tps checked. All these sensors checked from ecu end so that should count out the wiring also. So not many things that could be the reason for lower mpg..
Also i've noticed the consumption go up pretty much on the display, when i give a just a little more throttle.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, i just noticed that my radiator fan spins all the time.. Even with engine just started cold. Could this keep engine too cold, and cause rich mixture?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The electric fan or the viscous-drive one driven by the serpentine belt? The serp belt fan would turn whenever the engine runs. I THINK it slows down with higher engine speed because you'd then have air being pushed across the radiator by forward motion. The electric one should only run when the coolant is starting to heat above "normal".

Last edited by Kneale Brownson; 10-29-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And to add Knele said, if the electric one is spinning I'd look at a coolant sensor (or BOTH of them). if the coolant sensor is always reading too hot or too cold the ECU will dump in too much fuel (closed loop - runs rich) to get the car to heat up quicker.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
The electric fan or the viscous-drive one driven by the serpentine belt? The serp belt fan would turn whenever the engine runs. I THINK it slows down with higher engine speed because you'd then have air being pushed across the radiator by forward motion. The electric one should only run when the coolant is starting to heat above "normal".
It is the viscous-drive one. But i would think it's only supposed to run when the electric clutch engages it? Does anyone have the resistance specs for the sensors, the one for the fan and the one for the ecu?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, you would need fan operation more when sitting still than when moving.

I don't recall there being any kind of electrical attachment to the fan assembly. I think it's a viscous drive.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Again, you would need fan operation more when sitting still than when moving.

I don't recall there being any kind of electrical attachment to the fan assembly. I think it's a viscous drive.
Yeah, i guess you are right. So i guess it's normal for it to run all the time.. But i would think the engine isn't heating as quick as with an electric fan..?

Quick Reply: 90' V8Q surging under acceleration...