Alignment after R&P + LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment after R&P + LCAs

Replaced the rack and pinion along with the lower control arms while the trans was out. All back together and car handles terrible. Maybe I just got used to my much lighter, tighter, lower Probe while the Audi was down for ~ 3 months.

Is an alignment normally required after this work? I planned to wait until I changed the struts & rear camber links (maybe next month). The Sensa-Tracs I have now blew out in less than a year Currently shopping for something better.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Alignment after R&P + LCAs 4 WHEEL

Just a suggestion .But any time I work on major suspension componets on my 5KTQW I ALWAYS have a reputable front end shop do a 4 wheel alignment .This is not only important for good handling , economy, but long life of the often $$$$$ parts that have been replaced. Also its important for safety Scruffie
Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Normally, an alignment is required if you change any 'dimensional' parts + "Home Alignment" link..

Normally, an alignment is required if you cange any 'dimensional' parts..

For example, the chance of the new rack + tierod length being exactly the same as the old one is about zero. That will affect your toe in slightly.

And again, the lower control arms will not likely locate the ball joint in *exactly* the same place, again resulting in possible toe difference and also camber difference.

Unless you have figured how to do an alignment at home to get it close, then you should take in in...

If doing it at home you could get away for a while making sure that at least the toe in is close to right, until you can get it done properly.

(In the link, they use a sheet of aluminum. I've used a large enough flat piece of plywood instead. Also, when getting a pair of tape measures, make sure that you try them out at the store, and that they both read the same. Surprisingly, Not true for all pairs of tape measures!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/home_alignment.htm">Home alingnment</a></li></ul>