Alternator belt install 1990 Audi 100

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator belt install 1990 Audi 100

The indy mechanic that I've been using to work on my 1990 Audi 100 190,000 miles, for the last three years has not been available for the last couple of months and I am now left to my own devices.

Real quick; Lost my alternator belt a few days ago. I was only a few blocks from home and had enough juice to get it in front of the house. I was resigned to doing the install myself. No way I'm busting that top "Star" bolt to swing the alt. and get the belt on with the tools I have. Gave it everything I had for two hours. No go.

Funny thing is that I thought that the bottom bolt (with the cut-out to swing the alt) was going to be the hard one, given the amount of corrosion, but that took 2 minutes to get loose.

Also, I noticed that there were parts of the old belt actually melted on the pully, not the alt. pully, but the bigger pully that shares the belt with the alternator. As you can tell, I don't even know my parts. This may indicate another, more serious problem. Maybe something froze. I was driving in the pouring rain, and floods the day before, and the day I lost the belt the weather was the same.

Anyway, I'm resigned to getting it to the foreign car shop about 10 blocks away tomorrow, one way or another and am prepared to be screwed, blued and tattooed when the bill hits me.

The Indy guy I used has three of his own old Audi's and a boatload of parts. He's the guy that would do a power steering pump parts and install for $150, and an Alternator parts/install for about the same price. I miss the guy, and have a feeling that tomorrow I may have to put the car out to pasture. He would do this install for probably $40, and if he found another problem, he would get it done while I waited. I'm expecting an estimate of a few hundred $$$ or even more tomorrow.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Alternator belt install 1990 Audi 100

If I understand what you've done correctly, you have to first loosen the 13mm bolt in the center of the "star", which is used to ratchet the belt tight, I usually use a long bar to get proper tension as I tighten. as to parts of the belt on the crank pulley, could be the belt was old & came apart, does the alt pulley spin?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Alternator belt install 1990 Audi 100

Thanks dk:

Yeah, those are the tools that I'm missing. I remember when I had the new alt. installed, the mechanic was using the tension bars you've described to put it back into place. Yes, alt pully spins.

Interesting, as I was writing this post I received an e-mail from the mechanic I mentioned letting me know that he was back to work! I'll get that belt on tomorrow bring it to him for a full check and oil change. Like the song goes, "You don't know what you got til it's gone."

He said not to worry to much about pieces of the old belt on the crank pully, it's pretty common.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Indy's a cool place, been there a couple times.........

once for the 500 and again this year for a 2 game football trip I won on the radio. Sunday game in Indy, Monday night in Dallas. We didn't have a rental car in Indy, but didn't need one as the downtown area is connected by skywalks, hardly need to go outside. We did get the VIP treatment though, Limos to and from the airport to hotel. Seeing Payton and the Colts in person the year they won the Superbowl was awesome.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I live in Indy too........didn't know anyone else on the forum was from Indy.........

be glad to share where I get Audi parts, and mechanics that I have work on my 87. Drop me a note, maybe I can help.
Larry (Rooster2)
Fish6525@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default For future reference on frozen nuts & bolts:

Penetrating oil and heat. A small propane fueled torch. After heating up the frozen bolt, take away the torch, spray on more penetrating oil & reheat. Repeat once more and then take away the heat and immediately get the wrench(es) on there and try to break the joint free. You have to be fast since the wrench will act as a heatsink and diminish the effectiveness of the heat.

On the bolt that secured the star nut on my old '87; I had to use Vise Grip pliers as even a six point socket would not work. Although the head was chewed up, it worked.

No, I was not planning to enter my car in the Concours de Elegance or whatever it's called!!
Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Default LOL

I'm laughing right now, don't know if I'm laughing at myself for not being clear, or you guys just bustin on me. Funny anyway, and I needed the laugh!

I meant "independent" mechanic. Guy works full time at a shop, and does work on the side.

Still laughing, but that will cease in the morning. I'll enjoy it while I can..........
Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good advise, glad you posted this.