anybody got an A/C compressor/evap/accum replacement walkthrough?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody got an A/C compressor/evap/accum replacement walkthrough?

I already searched the forums and nothing very substantial.

Long story short, i was quoted just shy of $3k to replace the compressor ($1800), evaporator, condenser and various other parts. Basically the A/C system in my car is shot.

Car in question is a 1991 200 20v.

I have found the Nippondenso 10P17C compressor at NAPA for around $400 or on eBay for $200. The other parts are a couple hundred each too.

Are there any BTDT, or does anyone have a photo walkthrough? I have the Bentley manuals but sometimes the diagrams leave a little to be desired. Also, does anyone know the right part numbers for these parts, I am trying to find those as well.

tia.

Steve
Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my thoughts and experience..........

I seriously doubt that you need to replace all those items to get your AC working again.

Unless someone can show you with a leak detection "sniffer" that you are leaking refrigerant from the evap and/or the condensor, or if you know for sure that these units are plugged up with system leak sealant, then I would think both are still good.

Have you owned the car when the AC system worked well? If so, what were the circumstances that the system went out. Has the compressor siezed up, and won't rotate, causing the fan belt to squeal when the system is turned on? Or, has the system slowly lost cooling power to the point that the compressor won't kick on?

Answering these questions will give guidance on what you need to do for repairs.

In my own situation, I simply replaced the compressor, the dryer, and installed a variable orfice tube, had the system purged, vacuum drawn, then installed 134 myself. I had never done any of this before, but it was relatively easy to do, nothing tricky.

If you are somewhat mechanical, you can do all this work yourself. It is not high tech stuff, just unbolt remove old components, rebolt new components. Pictures won't help much.

Drop a reply, be glad to walk you through the steps via email or tel call.