Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a distributor inner and outer seals cause i need them ASAP
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: anyone have a distributor inner and outer seals cause i need them ASAP

once again i have a seal kit i can ship it out saturday.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default KYLE SNAP OUT OF IT <slap> (OK this long..read @ your own risk)

Calm down...take a few breaths.

feel better?
Now as per our IM earlier you all so have a RMS leak. It's nothing that you need to do ASAP. Whats happening is oil is leaking out from the seal &amp; it's dripping through the two weep holes @ the bottom of the trans &amp; burning off on the hot exhaust. I'd bet it's not a lot of oil leaking it's just kinda dripping/dribbling. Have you checked the level of your engine oil lately? That would be the Orange dipstick handle...;-)
What you wanna do is monitor the oil lose while you order the parts. Cause you'r going to need a RMS...which is like $8.00 to $10.00.
&amp; you can get Calbha's dizzy o-rings &amp; flange gaskets. Cause I've told you before that he had them FS but your in such a huff you'r not thinking! SO CALM DOWN...ok :-)
Get the rear main seal from SJM, he's on the West Coast. Or you know I recomend Bruce @ GAC.
But,
as I said......

....monitor the engine oil..you'r not going to hurt the car!...check the level, to do that run the car till it comes up to temps, let it cool off for 5 to 10 minutes. Pull the dipstich &amp; clean it off, reinset it, pull it out &amp; see were the oil level is @. You want it just above the top of the Orange indecator. If not fill it there. If you see that there is NO oil on the stick @ all you are @ least 1 1/2qts low all ready. So fill it up to the top of the indecator like I said.
Check the level in a few days. See were it's @...that will give you a small indecation on how fast the RMS is leaking.

Let us know.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default haha yah i am not worried about that i just need to fix the distributor leak

but bruce at arctic imports was pissed cause he could not locate the orings and has called bosh and emailed them and is waiting for a response. The reason I am in a hurry is cause now i will have no car for a week or how ever long it takes the part to get here and where I like has no public transportation and is 30 miles one way from where i need to go in this week. The reason i wanted a different place to get the part is cause Bruce wants to get a lot for his shop. Seeing as audi does not know what the dis. o-rings are
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: just OEM numbers of seals

077103487a
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default old email, copy and pasted

To do the seals on the back of the head, you need the following:

+ 030 905 224 - green dizzy seal (qty 2)
b 077 103 487 A - blue flange seal (qty 2)
b 077 103 487 - blue flange seal

(I don't think the + or the b's are important)

I ordered them off of WorldImpex for a great price (~$7 each).

the 224 is the fat green o-ring that goes at the base of the distributor. It's what usually leaks. I used a small flatblade screwdriver to gently pry the old one off and used some clean oil to help the new one slide on.

the 487A is the larger, flat seals that go underneath the flange (the two Torx 30 bolts under the distributor). These seals are optional... I changed them because they may have been leaking, they were cheap, and "while I was in there." Since there are two distributors, you need two of them.

the 487 is a smaller, flat seal that goes on the RIGHT head (passenger) behind a small cap held on by two or three Torx 30 bolts. I changed it just for the same reasons as above. It's really easy to change.

Why only one 487? The other 487, the other "cap," is on the FRONT of the LEFT head. The heads are exactly the same, just one facing the opposite direction. So whenever you do the front dizzy seals, you change the seal on the "cap" on the left (driver's) head.

As mentioned above, during reassembly, coat the shaft of the distributor with a light film of clean oil. Helps everything slide back in.

Below I copied and pasted my old emails about the job, new comments are in [ ]'s:

Had time/sunlight/heat enough today to do one of my distributors. Wisely chose to do the one that was actively leaking. Found out it's near impossible to clean off all those dang engine and transmission flanges of grease and gunk. Couldn't figure out a way to squirt anything on there so just poured degreaser and used gravity to get most of the stuff.

Hardest part was getting the dizzy out. It went in like a charm but needed some "attitude adjustment" to come out.
[The passenger distributor did not want to come out. I had to resort to prying gently with a long screw driver. Marred up some of the aluminum on the flange, but it wasn't a sealing surface. I don't really recommend that method. Driver's side basically fell out. Go figure.

Best way to install is to coat the shaft with a light film of oil and press it in. It'll slide in about half way before stopping. I then used the two 10mm bolts to gently pull the dizzy down. Making sure they could thread in 1/4" so they wouldn't strip out. Tighten a few turns on one, then the other, back and forth for an even pull.]

Went in and did the driver's side today. Much easier. Except for dropping the lower washers down into the nether region.

The flange has pins on both side, ensuring distributor alignment in one spot.

[That stupid washer really pissed me off. The bolts holding the distributors on have little, thin flat washers. I dropped one. It landed on some hidden flange of the exhaust and it took me forever to find it.]
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default im confused

not all numbers are correct
077103487a = http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&amp;partno =077103487a&amp;x=36&amp;y=5
that is not a gasket it is a cover
http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&amp;partno =030905224&amp;x=26&amp;y=10\
and that number gets me a washer not a gasket
Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default German translation is always fun. The numbers are correct.

077 103 487 - World Impex SKU 75121 - Gasket
077 103 487A - World Impex SKU 75122 - Cover
030 905 224 - World Impex SKU 117097 - Washer

^^^^^^^^

The part numbers you want. Trust me. I did this in October.

You need TWO of the 224's and TWO 487A's.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Shoot me an IM later...well talk about this.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

you all foiled my plan for getting my money back on my extra parts i accidently ordered ;(

Quick Reply: anyone have a distributor inner and outer seals cause i need them ASAP