Anyone know the best way to fix a loose headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the best way to fix a loose headliner?

1989 Audi 200QT
Old 06-13-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Anyone know the best way to fix a loose headliner?

Disassemble a few old computer hard drives: take out the magnets and use them to stick the headliner to the roof.

It's effective, cheap, and a ongoing topic of conversation from my kids and their friends when they ride in the back seat.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone know the best way to fix a loose headliner?

On my '86, I had the entire headliner replaced, except for the part over the sun roof. Cost about $150.

On my '87, just the portion near the rear window came loose. I stretched and resecured with white headed thumb tacks. It doesn't look too bad.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i did mine 2 days ago.

if it is falling in the back remove the two pieces of plastic one around the rear glass one on the side glass behind the rear window.and then remove the rubber part that holds it all up.then go buy some really good and strong headliner adhesive from the auto parts store.spray on the roof itself and the headliner itself let tack for 2 to 4 minutes till kind of tacky attach both pieces and put it all back together and hope and pray it stays together. if you dont let it tack long enough it will come down to long it wont stick. it really is an easy job why pay someone else to do an easy job when you can do it yourself for free.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Lane Shark

TPIWWP
Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: TPIWWP

Sorry. I'm at work, no pictures available. Liner is drooping about 3 inches above the back seat. Also the piece on the pop-up part of the sunroof came off completely. The foam backing is crumbling off and making a mess on the dash.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Best way? Find a vinyl headliner or get it reupholstered....

Thumb tacks have a way of ending up as bum-tacks on the back seat (ouch) and if you roll down your window and enough work loose, you could end up with a flailing mass of fabric, rotten foam and steel spikes for the back seat passengers.
The headliners on (I believe) 1984/85 type 44's were the same dimensions as the later ones, but were made of vinyl, which won't rot like the foam backing on the fabric ones. I got one (actually, 2) from my local wrecking yard - $20/ea if I pulled it myself (got the sunvisors, sunroof cover, sunroof motor cover, and A and C-pillar covers included). If you find one in a wrecking yard, then pull the fabric one on the car beside it to see how it's attached - basically adhesive in the rear, mechanical clips around the sunroof hole and rubber foam with adhesive above the sunvisor dents. Remove passenger seat. Careful use of an exacto blade(taped to a yardstick) will take care of the rubber foam, once the headliner is loose, remove thru the rear passenger door. I ended up chucking the lesser of the 2 headliners, too difficult to store until someone needed it. The better one was painted black (vinyl paint) and is in my 5ktq.
But, if I had to do it again, I'd pay to have someone do it in black alcantara (as someone had here) - that was a beautiful job!
Cheers!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Re: small magnets all over the place
Old 06-13-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

staple gun
Old 06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... RamSet... not the purple charge!

Quick Reply: Anyone know the best way to fix a loose headliner?