Audi 5000 s Turbo Cylinder Head

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 5000 s Turbo Cylinder Head

Ok so, its an 85 5000 s turbo model. The Cylinder head has 3 cracks each one is between the intake and exhuast valves.

Does anyone else know what other head would fit on the car.

like a 4000 or hopefully a 100 series as there is one ad the junk yard.

Reason being is i got milkshake in the motor oil and one of the pistons was totaly full of water when the head gasket was taken off and the only thing i can think of is that the cracks in the head let out all the coolant under pessure when they guy was driving it and overheated the motor

thanks in advance
thank you
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minor cracks (< 0.020") between valve seats are not a show-stopper, the head is probably warped from over-heating and *MAY* be able to be surfaced if not too bad and that is the only issue with head. The warpage is what caused to oil-coolant mix (blown head gasket). Check with competant head rebuilder, preferably one familiar with Audi/VW heads.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The cylinder head from the naturally aspirated NF engine (c 1987 through 1988, maybe part of 89) can be used to replace the 1986-1990 10 valve MC (MC1 and MC2) cylinder head. It supposedly breathes better and has larger intake valves. Exhaust valves are same size as MC engine, but because the MC engine has sodium-filled exhaust valves (and the NF doesn't), one should use the exhaust valves from an MC engine.

You can find MC and NF (and probably KH) heads in junkyards. U-pull it yards may charge you $50 - $75 for a complete head.

I think that your engine code is a KH. I would guess that the cylinder head from an MC1, MC2, or NF head would bolt on, but I don't know: there may be differences in the KH head that prevent this easy swap. Apparently the early ones lacked water cooling for the turbocharger.

Scott Mockry mentions it here: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/eng.html This is a site that's filled with valuable information regarding these cars.

Some gearheads on http://motorgeek.com may be able to answer your question.

Last edited by RussB; 01-02-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by socalclimber
Minor cracks (< 0.020") between valve seats are not a show-stopper, the head is probably warped from over-heating and *MAY* be able to be surfaced if not too bad and that is the only issue with head. The warpage is what caused to oil-coolant mix (blown head gasket). Check with competant head rebuilder, preferably one familiar with Audi/VW heads.
You know what. I never thought about that, that the overheating would have caused the head to warp and then head gasket failure. I've done 3 head's my whole life and most times the head gasket material has dissolved. On this car it looked almost new.

In regards to the crack on the heads they are bout the thickness almost of a line made from a regular ball point pen.

Shame on me for not thinking about the warped head

Any ideas why there was water out of the exhaust portion of the turbo?...... maybe the water that fell in the piston from the head gasket drained out the exhaust and filled the turbo a little bit?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RussB
The cylinder head from the naturally aspirated NF engine (c 1987 through 1988, maybe part of 89) can be used to replace the 1986-1990 10 valve MC (MC1 and MC2) cylinder head. It supposedly breathes better and has larger intake valves. Exhaust valves are same size as MC engine, but because the MC engine has sodium-filled exhaust valves (and the NF doesn't), one should use the exhaust valves from an MC engine.

You can find MC and NF (and probably KH) heads in junkyards. U-pull it yards may charge you $50 - $75 for a complete head.

I think that your engine code is a KH. I would guess that the cylinder head from an MC1, MC2, or NF head would bolt on, but I don't know: there may be differences in the KH head that prevent this easy swap. Apparently the early ones lacked water cooling for the turbocharger.

Scott Mockry mentions it here: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/eng.html This is a site that's filled with valuable information regarding these cars.

Some gearheads on http://motorgeek.com may be able to answer your question.
thank's for the link i'm sure that will help alot. b/c i really have no idea what any of that mc1 or mc2 stuff means hopefully after reading that site it will help

Are any of the engines you metioned in an Audi 100 non turbo. The head apearently looks the same

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aa_ezra
...maybe the water that fell in the piston from the head gasket drained out the exhaust and filled the turbo a little bit?
Logical.

I never really liked to have a head surfaced too much, maybe 0.010" or so, and a severely warped head bends the head permanently, including cam aligment in the cam journals. So, the cam "bends" each revolution and will also cause premature cam journal wear.

But, if it's not too bad, maybe get by with a head resurface. Ideally, freshen up head with a valve job and valve stem seals too.

Put a machinist straight-edge on head to see how much it warped, and engine block just to make sure (although they rarely warp).
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi named all 1988 through 1990 10 valve turbo engines "MC". The earlier MC engines had one knock sensor, and we call them MC1. The later MC engines had two knock sensors, and we call them MC2.

The 1989-1991 100 had the NF naturally aspirated engine. The earlier NF engines had the injectors in the head. The later NF engines had them in the intake manifold.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody know if a 5000 s non turbo head would fit. swap the valves and all the biz I think its year 81
Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whatever head you get, esp. a good used, you're going to want to check it for straightness, and maybe freshen it up (valve job, valve stem seals).

Why go thru all the labor for a junk yard head, esp. one that may be tired and have marginally leaking valves, worn out valve guides, and/or seals?

Is original head warped? How much? Just asking.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

1981? No. You have a KH code engine I'd imagine, so you'd need to find a 1984-1985 engine to match it. The KH was used in SOME 1986 cars to use up stock, then the MC came out. My '86 5ktq had an MC. I believe there are a few passages that go between the block and head that are different. I can't remember, it's been a while since I had a 10v, or even a 5cyl.