audi 5000 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi 5000 won't start

have an 87' audi 5000 cs quattro. car won't start. the car has sat in the garage for about 4-5 yrs. and my son kept playing the stereo without car on and drained battery to nothing. Filled battery with water and charged again and battery works again. HOWEVER, when i went to go start the car it no longer starts up. engine turns, but no fuel getting to engine. already drained all the bad fuel, even replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and yet it still doesn't start. Even got a new distributor to make sure there was spark. also just replaced the fuel pressure regulator but car still won't start!! where do i go now? how do i start the car? the car is really trying to start but it just won't. The car fires on ether but doesn't stay on. what do i do??? it has 220,000 miles on it
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perform at your own risk - chance of fire

From what you're writing it sounds like there is no Fuel being delivered to the engine. Thinking back to the basics you need 1. compression 2. spark 3. fuel

It sounds like you have compression and spark if the car runs on ether.

I'm assuming you:

1. checked for massive vacuum leaks, especially at the air meter boot.

2. listened for your fuel pump when you turned the key to on (not start). The pump should cycle for 2 seconds. If not cycling, jump your fuel pump relay under the hood in the fuse box.. terminal 87 to 30 where the fuel pump relay plugs in (see relay bottom for pin out on the terminals - use thick wire for the high amperage)

If jumping your relay gets the car started you need to replace your relay. Do not drive the car on simply a jumper wire as the fuel relay is a type of safety device in some particular car accident cases. If your fuel line bursts in an accident you don't want to be stuck in your car with fuel spitting near hot exhaust and unable to shut the fuel pump off.

Last edited by Blue44; 07-13-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've already tried that. the fuel pump turns on when i turn the key. one thing i forgot to say is that the car fires on ether but only stays on for like a second and then dies again. but i've jumped my fuel pump relay. i don't think its that
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

but pump does cylce with out jumping relay. before i replaced the fuel pump, the computer on the dash said ok when i turned the key to on. but ever since i replaced the fuel pump and put the cover back on, computer no longer says ok and now the fuel gauge doesn't work. and the gas tank is full
Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pull codes ?

have you checked to see if the air filter is plugged. Does the plentum(sp) move ?( in the air box )
If this doesn't move I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get enough fuel to make it run for long .

> there is spark for sure ?

> I might give the ISV a good clean .

as stated by Blue44 check all rubber lines for cracks ( Vacuum leaks )
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

checked if there was spark. electricuted myself. lol
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try Boxerfan's test regarding the air plate under the igloo? You have to have air mixing with the fuel for it to fire.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey mate, if your still having this problem, I'd go straight for the Fuel Distributer. I'd be willing to take a decent bet that your control plunger inside the fuel dist. is all varneshed up like glue.

I have had this same problem with 3 different cars, all after they have sat, all with the same symptoms as you.

You can unscrew the 3 flat head screws on top of the fuel dizzy, mark where your fuel fittings go, undo them and set em aside, take the top part of the dizzy off, flip it upside down, bend the retaining spring back and try and pull out the plunger, I bet it's stuck or real hard to move. Clean it up with some gas or a good carb, or equvvilant type spray.

Once that plunger is loosend up, put it back together, and listen to that engine roar to life. Oh btw you do NOT need to remove that large nut on the underside of the dizzy, (unless you want to extract the barrel and it's orings while it's out, the dizzy plunger rides inside that barrel) just bend that retaining tab back enough and work the plunger loose, and be EXTREMELY carful not to scratch or drop it in any way.

You can also jumper your fuel relay as you have before, remove the big igloo block rubber boot, with some vice grips or pliers, and pull up on the plunger, you should feel some resistance on it, and you'll hear the injectors squeal if they are getting the gas and the pressure. If when pulling up on that large meetering plate, you don't feel any resistance at all then good chance the plunger is stuck.
Good luck mate.

Michael.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default WOW am i glad i found this!!

i have had a no fuel prob. for about 6 years. had the motor out for a few months put it back in and nothing but a fire from the cold start or starting fluid. have gone though vacuum, wiring, new valves. I would let it sit for a year or to then get a hair to try again, to no avail. this time i pulled the dizzy, but didnt know what to look for, so started searching and reading posts. My plunger is seized! If anyone can lead me to an exploded view or directions on pulling it apart safely, I would great appreciate it.In the mean time i will be trying to gather all the scattered parts for the car.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Firechicken
Hey mate, if your still having this problem, I'd go straight for the Fuel Distributer. I'd be willing to take a decent bet that your control plunger inside the fuel dist. is all varneshed up like glue.

I have had this same problem with 3 different cars, all after they have sat, all with the same symptoms as you.

You can unscrew the 3 flat head screws on top of the fuel dizzy, mark where your fuel fittings go, undo them and set em aside, take the top part of the dizzy off, flip it upside down, bend the retaining spring back and try and pull out the plunger, I bet it's stuck or real hard to move. Clean it up with some gas or a good carb, or equvvilant type spray.

Once that plunger is loosend up, put it back together, and listen to that engine roar to life. Oh btw you do NOT need to remove that large nut on the underside of the dizzy, (unless you want to extract the barrel and it's orings while it's out, the dizzy plunger rides inside that barrel) just bend that retaining tab back enough and work the plunger loose, and be EXTREMELY carful not to scratch or drop it in any way.

You can also jumper your fuel relay as you have before, remove the big igloo block rubber boot, with some vice grips or pliers, and pull up on the plunger, you should feel some resistance on it, and you'll hear the injectors squeal if they are getting the gas and the pressure. If when pulling up on that large meetering plate, you don't feel any resistance at all then good chance the plunger is stuck.
Good luck mate.

Michael.
would this apply to an Audi 90 as well. Having problems 😑