Bose System Issues - My Problems Pt. 2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose System Issues - My Problems Pt. 2!

I'm already running a thread dealing with 2 mechanical issues, but, I thought that I might as well try to tap the knowledge on this board on some other problems I'm having -- my slate of 'car work' for the summer will be full I guess.

2 issues, both with the audio system (speakers). I'll give a history.

The car is a 91' 200 20v sedan, 105k

Problem 1: Back in 02', after having driven the car for about 5-6 months, I noticed that the volume of the sound coming out of the left driver door had become MUCH lower than the volume of sound from all the other speakers. For any given level of volume, the left front would be lower. But it wasn't out completely (you could tell by putting your ear to the door at normal volume levels). Volume would still rise and fall with adjustment from the radio panel, but, always a proportionately lower level.

Now, I may tend to ... play the volume of my radio/CD at slightly higher levels than advisable. So, my first inclination was 'oh no, I damaged the speaker'. However, to my suprise, I brought it into the dealership, and they said that the problem was just a balance issue, and that they had adjusted the balance on the front speakers through some internal control or something of that sort (since obviously, there is only a rear/front balance on the actual dash).

I didn't question a good result at the time. However, sometime in 2003 (so, in a matter of months) the exact same problem reappeared - VERY low proportionate level of volume in the left front speaker compared to the rest of the system. How should I proceed on this? Is it just a balance issue? Can I adjust this? Why did it reoccur?

Problem 2: Fall of 04 this issue cropped up. When listening to the radio or to a tape (I use a CD player with a tape-convertor) you hear a distinct buzzing noise. Very odd behavior: it is always there when I turn on the system. Many times, after listening to the radio for a few minutes (30, let's say) the buzzing will go away, but not always. If it does go away, it sometimes returns during the same driving session. In short, behavior is very random. One thing I noticed is that the volume of the buzzing does not raise/lower in proportion to the system. If you play the system very low, the buzzing is very evident. If you raise the volume enough (not a very good solution, I know) then you aren't able to 'hear' it above the music, but it is still 'there.'

Again, not sure really where to even begin with this problem.

Any comments / advice are greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, throw them my way.

A sad audiophile

P.S. I did have the replacement work done on the system following the recall for the fire issue. I was the first one at the dealership to have it done, which meant I was the first one at the dealership to have them not properly fix it and make my whole system not work. However, they fixed whatever they had done the 2nd time around. That is the only history of repair work I've had on the Bose system, other than the supposed balance adjustment that I mentioned above.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is a side to side adjuston the radio

adjustors pop out to change. Push in and pop out.

Buzzing is probably a poor connection or ground. Probably can correct by pulling the radio and re setting the connections on the back. Use coat hanger wire into the four holes on the front to release it. You can get a a tool for this at your local FLAPS for a couple of dollars.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: There is a side to side adjuston the radio

Tony:

Unless I've lost my mind, the only adjustments on this model radio are treble, bass, and front/rear balance. (91 200 20v sedan) I've never seen an adjustor for left/right???

When you say 're set' what exactly do you mean? Do you mean resoddering connections? If you could be more specific that would help.

Thanks for responding! Apparently (from lack of responses) this isn't an easy issue I guess? Damn the Bose system!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pull volume **** & twist for L-R balance
Old 05-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Pull volume **** & twist for L-R balance

Thanks! I never knew that.

I'm assuming that by adjusting l/r, I'll be changing both the front and rear speakers. When I get home in a few weeks, I'm going to have to listen to the rear speakers. Hopefully, the left rear speaker is faint too, although I never noticed it as such. IF that's the case, then it's just an adjustment issue.

If it's just the left front that's faint though, I'm guessing that there's something else wrong ...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: There is a side to side adjuston the radio

What I mean by re-set is to unplug and re plug in all the connections. Over time the contact gets a higher resistance and re plugging them should correct that. If you use a bit of CRC cleaner that would be good too.