Brake problems, need some input please..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problems, need some input please..

My car was running low on powersteering/brake fluid and the "BRAKE" warning light came on. So since i couldn't get any hydrolic fluid at the time I was recommended by someone to put in regular powersteering fliud. Is this ok? During this whole time when i had the ABS turned on when I braked hard the car made a somewhat metal jabbing noise, turn the ABS off and no jabbing noise.
The break warning light has never turned off since and still does the jabbing when breaking hard with ABS on. Anyone got an idea what might be wrong. BTW i cant do the bomb test because the break warning light is always on. Any input would be nice.
Thanks,
Kyle
fscskater@hotmail.com
Old 02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Brake problems, need some input please..

Don't use regular powersteering fluid. The PS fluid for the audi is mineral based, specific for the hydraulic operation for the rack and pinion steering. Don't use anything other than the required Pentosin mineral fluid unless you want to rebuild your rack.

As for your ABS problem....you may need a new ABS joint, front axle(s)...or it's possible the ABS servo unit is broken / damaged.

Where's this noise coming from?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Noise is from the front

Will i have to flush the fluid out, if so how? And where do I go about finding the hydrolic fluid for the ps and brakes? Do you think that could be the reason the brake light is on?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you can still do the bomb test

even if the light is on

Turn the car off, then pump the brake pedal, if it gets hard before you get to ten pumps..... it's time for a new bomb. Lets put it this way, I can pump the brake pedal only once after the car is shut off. after that I have no pedal so yeah I need a bomb too.

idk but the niose you hearing could be normal?

and yes NEVER put normal PS fluid in these cars....
Old 02-12-2004, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Noise is from the front

You don't need to flush the fluid out unless you've already put the wrong powersteering fluid in. To flush the system, disconnect the hoses going to the PS fluid resevoir and PS pump. Also lift up the car on jacks, and turn the steering wheel left and right 2 or 3 times to pump the old fluid out. Do this with the car off.

Hydraulic fluid....get it from dealer. OR
http://www.audiconnection.com

The brake fluid is standard DOT 3 or 4.

It's possible the brake light is on because you're low on fluid, or you need a flush...not because you've put the wrong one in, if you've already done so. First get the Pentosin going...then let us know if a flush doesnt fix it.

Like Adam said, a BOMB is still possible...do that as well.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Thanks mowafy

Im thinking Im going to need a new bomb, and have to find where to get the hydrolic fluid