can someone post the procedure to remove driver's side headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone post the procedure to remove driver's side headlight?

I need to replace mind and can't seem to be able to remove the trim pieces above the bumper or the orange parking light beside the headlight. I have no bentley.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you are talking about the corner marker light.........

next to each headlight, they are clipped on to the side of the headlight. No need to remove trim above or below the corner marker. I can't remember precisely how, but you need to open the hood, reach in with a long flat screwdriver and gently pry on the plastic retainer catch/latch mechanism to release the corner marker.

To reinstall, simply push in, from the front with the corner light properly alligned on the plastic skids until it latches.

It helps to use a flashlight to see a little, also use your fingers to feel for the latch before prying with the screwdriver.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 AM

Default I need to remove them both

I have two broken levelers and the headlight has to be replaced (levelers are broken at the high housing).
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default side trim is held in by screws below it... that is, carefully pry up the side trim and you'll see

some screws in there holding it on. The front trim if its the same as the 20v, is attached to the grille. Remove the top screws and pop-clips for the top of the grille. Next remove the black plastic strip at the base of the grille between the grille and the trim by popping out the snap things... just pry carefully so as not to break it. From here you should see the screws for the front trim... remove.

Now it should be pretty clear how to remove the few screws that attach from the light into the car.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default headlight aiming adjusters frequently break..........

I have seen them "fixed" using bailing wire wrapped around them to take up the slack, and thus repaired (sort of).

If you have decided to replace the headlights, then suggest you buy the aftermarket euro lights available at a decent price. I don't have the name or website handy of who sells them, but I am sure someone will chime in here with the info. Others have been happy with the upgrade.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can someone post the procedure to remove driver's side headlight?

If you're talking about a Type 44 (100/200/5000 and to some extent V8 models, and why don't folks include that information with their questions?????), the proper procedure is to remove the front bumper cover, which requires pulling two 8mm Alan head bolts from under the front edge, pulling the trailing edges of the cover out slightly at the wheelwells and sliding the assembly forward. You need to take out the blinker lights in the bumper first.

When the bumper cover is off, you can see all the screws that hold on the chrome strip that runs along the top of the bumper cover. With those screws removed and the trim slid off, you can remove the two Phillips screws that hold the headlight assembly in place at the bottoms of the lights and the two 6mm bolts that hold the lights up against the core support.