car died...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died...

hey... i was driving aorund today.... first problem: cv went today... i was driving around today and the car started shaking oarund a lot... i got out and saw like metal dust on the wheel from soemthing rubbing or grinding... so i looked in.. didnt see anything except the clamp that holds on the cv boot was gone and the cv was exposed cuz the boot was flopping aorund.. the car started shaking really bad and gotr worse as i drove so it hink the cv is gone.. i have axles off my parts car so thats not a huge deal... but as i was leaving my buddies house my car felt really sluggish.. sounded like it wasnt firing right.. very very sluggish almost distributor or 02 sensor gone... anyways shaking with the no boot clamp and going only 20 in 3rd gear floored... i was pissed.. hopign i'd make it home... i was driving along and the engine started ticking.. i was hoping i would make it home but then the ticking sped up and got louder for like 2 second then it stopped.. and the engine shut off... what do u think it is.. i cant retsart thr engine.. i checked oil and there is stillplenty in there... i got it AAA towed... i told them to check it out and let me know what problem and cot is... what do u think about problem and cost will be?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That wasn't ticking from the engine...

More than likely the CV on that axle self destructed (which makes one heck of a ticking sound when they die, ask me how I know), but why the engine died is anybody's guess.

Check for the basics - air, fuel, spark, and money-in-wallet - then pull the codes and see what comes up.

Let us know what you find...
Old 08-18-2003, 06:12 PM

Isn't this an example of why you don't try to limp home and just get it towed =P
Old 08-18-2003, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: car died...

My car did the sluggish 20 mph thing. Turned out it was the tank coating clogging the fuel filter and killing the fuel pump as well. Take your fuel filter off and empty the gas thats in it into a glass jar. check its color and look for sediment. Just a guess.

PS. Sorry to hear about the car