car tried to kill me today

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car tried to kill me today

whilst driving back to school this morning, I wanted to pass someone doing the speed limit. I punch my 5k to the floor (hitting the kickdown, and watched my boost jump up), and pass them very safely on the right (they refused to get over) after I was safely back into my own lane I released the gas..... But she didn't wanna stop..... pedal stayed glued to the floor....

I tapped the pedal a few times, didn't release. I hit my brakes a bit to slow my accelaration a bit (they didn't appreciate that), and hit the gas pedal again, didn't work. I proceeded to rock the car a bit with the brakes and was about to kill the engine before it killed me, and the pedal released itself...

keep in mind that happened in about a time frame of maybe 5-10 min, and I was on a pretty open stretch of route 202.....

First thing that is prob comin to all your minds, is that my cruise control rod got jammed. and in fact I thought that at first too, but there is a prob w/ that theory. it's not installed!

sooo before my car tries to kill me again, any ideas? or just go over the linkage and clean and lube everythin up
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default carbon build-up on the throttle body maybe?

Glad you were able to control the car when it happened.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Default Got Floormatz?

Good to hear you're OK, Dave. The next time something like that happens shut the car off - don't try and fight the engine with the brakes.
Floor mats have been known to get tangled with the pedals, as a matter of fact that's why the posts were installed in the floors - to hold the mats away from the pedals.
I would check all the throttle linkages - I had a similar thing happen when the plastic coating on a throttle cable broke and it stuck with the throttle wide open. Like Barry (a-talk) says, the thottle body butterfly could have gotten jammed as well.
Cheers!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Default I realize now that I should have just shut her off right when I noticed a problem

and no, I still only have the stock floormats. I'm gonna go out one day this week and fiddle with everything that might have caused this.... I can start detailing under my hood as well

being broke has taught me to work with what I've got, instead of modifying and adding things.... And I've got lots of spray paint and cleaner, why not detail the engine bay
Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default my 100 had the most ridiculous setup for throttle...

and on several occasions i found myself stuck to the floor as well. if you have the fully mechanical throttle linkage, then its likely that the bushings on the throttle linkage are shot and are binding up. replacements are cheap, and are more of a nuisance then anything.

ALSO, theres what i believe to be a WOT switch on the floor under the gas pedal (on some models, i guess not every one has it) and if it sticks, you wont be able to get off full throttle.

good luck!!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had the floormat issue in one of my V8s with stock mats...

Felt like a complete boob when I discovered what it was. At least it is an easy fix. It takes surprisingly little for the mat to hold the throttle open. Watch where the pedal hits the floor. It might just catch enough to hold the pedal.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: car tried to kill me today

I have the exact same problem. Newer throttle switch, cruise linkage not binding, throttle cable seems fine, all fuel delivery locations squeaky-clean, definately not mats binding. Once I hit 1.8-1.9 bar boost, car redlines and wont come down. I try to throw her into neutral, Turning ignition off then on fixes problem, not always possible while driving! I haven't driven the car for over a year because my life almost ended due to this problem. First it blew out my turbocharger and intercooler-replaced both with new - still happens,No one seems to know a solution....Let me know what you find.

aaron
1987 5000CS QT 290,000 miles
"charlie" boost