Cigarette lighters don't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette lighters don't work

I spent most of the day trying to find out why my cigarette lighters don't work. I forgot my Bentley at school, so I was stuck with the Haynes manual. I found that there is no juice the wires at the front lighter (2 red w/blue wires). One of the wires goes to a 2-wire connector that is not connected to anything and I traced the other wire to the base of the driver's side footwell where I assumed it went up to the fuse panel. I also checked the wiring at the base of the fuse panel. Also, most of the other parts on the same fuse do work. The power antenna does not, but I believe that's due to the aftermarket stereo. I'm a noob at electrical work and I'm not sure about the accuracy of the Haynes wiring diagrams. Also, I recall from the Bentley that the '87 cars got a relay for the cigarette lighters. I located one for the rear lighter in the auxilary relay panel below the steering wheel. There were 2 ground wires, 2 red w/green, and one red w/black coming out of the relay. The only one that had power was the red/black wire. I did all the tests with the ignition on as well as off. I also forgot my multimeter at school so I was just using a test light. Can anyone provide me some insight as to where I'm going wrong in my search? At least I fixed a bunch of other little gremlins while I was at it though...footwell lights, cig lighter lights, trunk light, and ashtray light.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: It is an acquired skill... keep practicing and be patient and logical.