cold start problem finally fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start problem finally fixed

I have been talking with alot of you through out the last few weeks. All the information has been great. I have a audi 5000s 2.3 nf engine. My car was having a problem starting(only cold). It would take a long time to start. sometimes i would hold the key for a minute, and even the battery died a couple of times while trying to start. The reason I held it so long because the car would be actually running while i was cranking. It seemed like only a few pistons where actually working. It would take 15 to 20 minutes to warm up. If i didn't let it warm up it would hestitate or would just simply stall. So i tested for vaccum leaks, i replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, cap, csv, and water temp sensor isv. This only helped the car run a little better and smoother. I didn;t actually solve my cold start problem. SOmeone posted a thread saying that I needed to pull the codes at the top of the fuel pump relay 215 and put a fuse in for 4 to 10 seconds with the ingintion on. Stated that i should check the relay first. So I go outside check the relay and pulled the codes. I think I read it properly.it would blink,blink,blink,blink,pause,blink,blink,blink,bl ink,pause,blink,blink,blink,blink,pause,blink,blin k,blink,blink,pause,blinkand hold for 2 seconds. this would repeat its self over and over again. The code read 4444 i think. So then as im closing up the fuse box I think I see a blown fuse. So I pull the fuse its fine. As im looking back down fuse port i don't notice cooper prongs. I started thinking to myself these are were the spares go. When i purchase the car we were looking at the fuses, because the electric passenger seat would move. My father thaought that the fuses on the left side were spares. Ended pulling #28 15 amp iginiton timing fuse, and #23 30 amp passenger seat, memory setting for drvier side seat. Next morning below 50 car fires right up. Thank heaven, really scared me there for a few weeks. I was willing to put some money into it because its been in a garage for 15 years, 34,000 miles on it, paid 300, the best thing grandma put some money into to it, to get it running for her grandson. New belts, recharged the ac, new rubber, new battery. Grandson took to emissions and it failed, called grandma told her it wouldn't pass emissions. She told him she would buy him a new car. I think the reason it wouldn't pass emissions because the o2 sensor was blinking the yellow triangle was on. replacing that this weekend. please tell me if i was right on reading the code, and how would i reset it? Is it easy to turn the odometer back on these cars. At first i didn't think he did because you can tell by looking at the interior, no real wear on the seats or floor mats.