Coolant color and type

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant color and type

The coolant that I had in my car was Pentosin and it was blue in color. After I had the TB water pump changed I noticed they replaced it with green coolant. I thought this was a no no but the guy at the shop (independent Audi garage) say's it's phosphate free and ok to use. Hmmm, this is really bugging me. Do you guys believe this? Is there a green colored coolant that is safe for these cars? This is a good shop and they do all the work on the car that I can't but this hasn't been sitting well with me. thoughts?
Randolph
Old 04-03-2005, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it should be fine...

i just flushed and filled my system with the pentosin blue coolant, i think thats optimal for the cars, or the orange, you should be fine though. check to see what ind it is etc, and if it's really getting to you just flush it at the end of the season.. (get some time out of it)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a phosphate free green coolant- sounds OK, it's what I use...
Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Green or blue is fine for the T44's. Not red.

Blue just turns your coolant reservoir blue over time. No biggie, IMO.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, thx guys I feel better now.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My understanding is that you just shouldn't mix the coolant types...

Apparently mixtures lead to corrosion... or so I've been told.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Green phospate free is fine...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You really should be fine using whatever as long as you use just one type

Even the regular green should be fine as long as it is changed and maintained in a good manner, they have additives to help against corrosion. Sure phosphate free is probably the best but there are plenty of people and shops that just use the regular green cheap stuff and it isnt going to kill your engine unless you decide to not flush it every so often and keep your cars cooling system in good order, which in my case espically for a near 20 year old car would be impossible not to do considering every year or so it will need some part that will cause me to have to dump at least 1/2 the coolant replacing anyhow.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It happened to me

I went from a G11 type coolant to G12 about four years ago. After only a few months, I saw some seepage out of the top seam of the radiator (near the upper return hose). I have an all metal radiator, and there was a reaction at the solder joint. I drained and flushed the system good, used a bit of JB weld on the seepage area and refilled with good old faithful Prestone. Been fine ever since.

Audi does say that older systems can "convert" to G12, but offers a strong warning to completely drain and clean the system before adding G12. Since all metal radiators are not stock, I'm assuming that is why I had the problem. The G12 seems to like the solder joints on the brass type radiators, plastic and aluminum are fine.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After toying with expensive Pentosin antifreezes I returned to cheap Prestone green

. . . mixed with distilled water, of course.

US Antifreeze mfrs claim that phosphates aren't a problem in the US:

Q: Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.

From:<ul><li><a href="http://www.prestone.com/tips/page7.htm">http://www.prestone.com/tips/page7.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Coolant color and type