Crankshaft boltheads stripped. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft boltheads stripped. Help!

I went to change my timing belt on my 89 100 (with the slant 5) and accidently stripped out two boltheads on the crankshaft pulley. They were two of the four around the center pulley bolt (with the 6mm allen heads). Does anyone know if these bolts have to come out to remove the pulley? I ran out of time to mess with it and I don't want to start it again before I know what I'm getting into (like drilling out those bolts while it's on the engine).
Old 07-20-2003, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Crankshaft boltheads stripped. Help!

No, they don't need to be removed to take the pulley off. Just the BMF center one. 248 ft pounds torque is lots of fun to remove so you will need the special tool to hold the crank. Do not try to hold the engine with a screwdriver in the flywheel or you will risk breaking teeth ... Either rent the tool of serce the forum for a couple of other ideas to hold the engine like winding the pully with a rope or making your own holder from square stock and welding it together.

Drilling out and replacing might work but getting a new dampner pulley from a yard might be easier. The balance of the pulley is important too.

Tony
'91 100Q 5spd
Old 07-20-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could stuff rope down in a cylinder too to keep it from rotating.....works on bikes and chainsaws
Old 07-20-2003, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I've done that on cycles and snowmobiles. Might work but lot of stress on bearings
Old 07-21-2003, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft boltheads stripped. Help!

Go to my site, and there is a section of Tech stuff. Has a DIY holder. Also, just get a very large impact gun, needs at least 350lb-ft of reverse torque. You will crack a regular socket, so you'll need one of the special impact sockets. Thats the only way to back that large bolt out w/out a holder, BTDT.

Oh, also, its 258lb-ft ;-)
Old 07-21-2003, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CK, is a holder necessary with a BMF impact wrench?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: CK, is a holder necessary with a BMF impact wrench?

I actually impacted the bolt off and back on, setting the impact wrench to different torque levels via the selector on the bottom of my particular wrench. So far, the motor has +1000mi on it (guessing, odo has been dead for several years) with no problems (I left the covers off to be able to visually check the belt for abnormal wear or damage, none so far).
Old 07-21-2003, 02:55 PM

Default Do I need to remove the bumper?

I can get an impact socket on the bolt using a long extension and going through the bottom slats on the bumper cover where it looks like someone broke a tab or two for this purpose. If I do need to removed it, is it real involved?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Taking the bumper off is easy but a friend to help hold it helps

Under the bumper on each sice is a hole in the plastic where you will find a large metric allen bolt. This releases the bumper to slide forward and off.

You will need to loosen a couple of phillips screws for the air dam under the drivers side by the radiator. Also remove the turn signal lights in the bumper before sliding too. As long as you are there get the towing thingy out from the bumper plastic in from of the radiator too. Also need to loosen the air duct for the engine oil cooler behind bumper of the passenger side. All easy and quick and helps the job go a lot easier.

Replacing - sliding into the fenders is easy but again helps to have two people to align it.

Tony
'91 100Q 5spd
BTDT a few times
Old 07-21-2003, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought there were a couple screws in the fender area as well?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft boltheads stripped. Help!