CV Joint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Problem

Well it's finally starting to click. My driver side CVJ is starting to click really bad when I turn. My question is it easier/cost effective to just replace the hole shaft or just buy one of the little cv joint kits? Thanks any input is welcome.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: CV Joint Problem

Clicking?? is the boot torn? If in doubt replace with a rebuild unit.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the CV joint is clicking, a boot kit won't help you. You need either a new CV (including a boot kit to install it) or a complete rebuilt axle that includes a new CV joint. You can find the latter on EBay, sometimes fairly cheap. For a little more, you can find the rebuilt axles at a FLAPS. Some FLAPS offer "lifetime" guarantees, which generally mean they'll give you a replacement when the CV goes bad again.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

...Okay...I know the CV joint is bad...I have grasped that concept. My question was it a better idea to change the entire axle or just the CV joint (which is included in a "CV Joint" kit). I'll go formal/numeric with it.

Questions:

1. Which is a better idea, replacing the entire half shaft or just the cv joint?

2. Which is easier/more cost effective?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you replace the CV joint, you know you have a new CV joint. If you buy a "rebuilt" axle assembly, you don't know what was involved in fixing it. Might have been torn boot(s), might have been the inner joint that failed and you have a 100K outer joint that will go bad soon, etc. Either way, it's easiest to remove the whole axle assembly to work on the one you're going to fix if you're going to do the new outer CV yourself. Of course, then it's easiest to just stick a rebuilt back in. And if you buy from a local FLAPS that gives the "lifetime guarantee", you will just have that process to go through repeatedly if their rebuilts aren't so good.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

FLAPS? I'm assuming thats acronym for something?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

FLAPS=Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: FLAPS=Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

...Wow...Can't beleive I didnt think of that...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: FLAPS=Foreign Local Auto Parts Store

After all this is one of them there foreign car.

Only a few of the auto parts store are "Friendly"
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quality issue

You ask,
1) quote "Which is a better idea, replacing the entire half shaft or just the CV joint" end quote... Well
my opinion is replace the CV w/boot kit..reason & Kneale touched on it a bit...all remaned axles are old CV's boared wider & bigger ***** inserted..LOL he said "bigger *****"...but
the quality of the boots are crap as well. if you or anyone has seen a remaned axle & noticed the sheen on the boots used,
that "sheen" is crapy low quality. & prolly you will find yourself using that "lifetime guarantee" quiet often. Not easier.

2) Quote "Which is easier/more cost effective?" end quote...Well I touched on that in the last sentice above a bit but,
it would be easier to plop down your $100'ish dollars for a remaned axle, which is cost effective but not labor effective.
If it were me I'de spend the extra $$$ & get the new CV/boot kit. as you said it all comes in one box & is very easy to replace. Depending on what car were talking bout the CV axle can be left installed on the car *(attatched to the tranny still) & only the end will need to be freed from the housing. & that can be done by taking the tie rod end off, control arm/sway bar off & the CV can be swung out the wheel hub. & the CV bolt can be re-threaded back into the end of the CV & it will pop off. But if the cars a 5k I think the axle will need to come off so you can undo the curclip & then the CV wiggles off. But in eather event I'd again spend the extra $$ & go with the new CV..but make sure the CV comes with a Lobro boot kit.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: CV Joint Problem